How do you pay in Argentina?

I have never left a 10% tip in my life. Not starting now. 15-20%. So far ,no one has objected. My favorite restaurants are always happy to see me.

I was doing a bit of research online about tip amounts in Argentina and USA. I believe in USA indeed it’s 15-20%. However, I saw some sources say in Argentina it’s 10%.

These 2 sources seem to say tipping is common and the amount is about 10%:

However, this one for some reason says tip is not expected:

Seems like some conflicting information about it. In USA I believe alot of restaurants don’t pay the servers much and it’s expected that they get lots of their income from tips. Is Argentina this way?

“Texas allows employers to take a tip credit. Employers must pay tipped employees at least $2.13 an hour. If an employee doesn't earn enough in tips to bring his or her total compensation up to at least the full state minimum wage rate an hour, the employer must make up the difference.”

I wouldn't listen to any internet blog on this. 10% is normal, or just whatever change is left on the bill if it's not a huge order. No one ever cares. It is not obligatory here like in the US, business cannot legally pay less and cover it with tips like they can there. Tip more if you want (I always do it because the food here is cheap and I can easily afford to). The most common tip you'll see from locals at a casual lunch or dinner is like 20-50 pesos, just whatever change they get basically.

Also keep in mind that in Argentina it is customary for tips to be pooled and split between all staff, rather than going to the waiter only.

Last edited:
I have never left a 10% tip in my life. Not starting now. 15-20%. So far ,no one has objected. My favorite restaurants are always happy to see me.
Thats great. I often leave more, 10% to me is just a baseline. But, again, many of my argentine friends are shocked when I leave anything. Usually, its an age thing, younger argentine friends tend to tip, older ones not so much.

All my local friends barely leave anything on the table.

Not saying they're bad people. It's just the way it is here.

Last edited:

I think you should try tipping 50% or even 100%. Then they will love you even more. This is the way to earn love.
And why do you stop there? Just start paying double for everything. Then you can come here and complain that everything is getting more expensive every day.

I’ve stopped carrying my wallet now and just keep a similar thickness wad of 1000s in my trouser pocket. No different to carrying a wallet.

I’ve stopped carrying my wallet now and just keep a similar thickness wad of 1000s in my trouser pocket. No different to carrying a wallet.

Earlier I was doing the same but realized the bills can get wet and sweaty on a hot day. I’m now using this Mighty Wallet which I took from my old stuff before leaving for Argentina, looks like the company is still around:

Very good and light weight wallet, made of some kind of paper like thing, though quite durable, with many compartments. Works good for cash. I just keep it in my front pocket. Also, my Sube card is in there and I never take it out when using the subway or bus. The card reader can read it through the wallet when I just place the wallet on it. Has two compartments for bills, one I keep some dollars and the other pesos.

I've been using a money clip for years. Fits nicely in a front pocket and holds about $8,000 pesos, my DNI, Hosp Ital insurance card, and two rarely used credit cards

Wallet wise I use this one I got from Amazon, I like it, and I only keep my debit card, MC, and Visa, along with DNI and Obra Social card on me anyways, and I never cary more than 2K in cash unless I'm specifically spending it on something. As for tipping, I usually due 10% to 15%.

I have to constantly remind my husband that being a waiter sucks, and they make very little. If we spend $3,600 on food and drinks for two of us $360 pesos means some eggs, or a pack of cigarettes, or money for the subte, etc. for them. He's not used to tipping as an Argentine he says, just rounding the bill up, but I don't want to be a cheapskate, especially for less than $1.50. When I got delivery on Christmas day I gave the guy the max I could in the app and $500 pesos that I had on me because again, like being a waiter, delivering for Rappi is awful, and add on to that working the most important holiday of the year too instead of seeing friends/family.

I use my Argentine credit card to pay for almost everything, including all of my purchases on mercado libre, amost all of which are delivered to my house with no extra charge for the delivery.

Yesterday, on my monthly trip to Punta Alta, I used my debit card to pay for $1.000 pesos worth of nafta (enough for a month) and I also got $10.000 pesos in cash at the same time.

I usually get $8.000 peoso in cash (enough for a month), but I had the VTV inspection for my car yesterday and I wasn't sure I if would be able to pay the $2.150 fee with my credit card (which I did 15 minutes later).

I use a washable fabric billfold in which to put the currency and the credit and debit cards along with my DNI and driver's license.

I throw the billfold in the wash every month or two, knowing the currency has probably been contaminated, even when the bills appear to be almost new.

PS: I never tip in restaurants, but I never eat in them, either. 🤠

Back