How do you pay in Argentina?

Always have cash with you, might just save your life...

One trick I use is to fold a large denomination bill and put it in between my phone case and my phone. Saved me a few times. Depending on your phone case you might be able to do multiple bills.

One trick I use is to fold a large denomination bill and put it in between my phone case and my phone. Saved me a few times. Depending on your phone case you might be able to do multiple bills.
Nice trick. When somebody steals your phone, a nice surprise is waiting for him, and you don't have any money for a taxi or even for a bus ride.

Reactions: Moe
Yall already know I got that Benji on me.

I got a Benji in my phone case, but since I’m in Argentina I thought maybe to change it to a high denomination peso? What is a 100 dollar equivalent for peso? Not necessarily exchange rate equivalent, but something as useful as a $100 bill is in USA that can be used in an emergency, but yet not too high that a store can’t take it.

I got a Benji in my phone case, but since I’m in Argentina I thought maybe to change it to a high denomination peso? What is a 100 dollar equivalent for peso? Not necessarily exchange rate equivalent, but something as useful as a $100 bill is in USA that can be used in an emergency, but yet not too high that a store can’t take it.
See the WU thread. The biggest banknote here is $1000 - around $4.
Few thieves here are dumb enough to make the effort of robbing you just for that.

Few thieves here are dumb enough to make the effort of robbing you just for that.

What do you recommend I keep as an emergency cash in my phone case? I can only have one note in this case? The phone case cash is for if I forgot to bring my wallet with me, or if my wallet gets lots or stolen, etc. I’m thinking maybe just keep the $100 USD in there then.

What do you recommend I keep as an emergency cash in my phone case? I can only have one note in this case? The phone case cash is for if I forgot to bring my wallet with me, or if my wallet gets lots or stolen, etc.
Honestly I would be surprised any Argentines keep enough notes worth taking on their person anymore... pretty much zero of my friends ever carry cash these days (just cards and mercado pago) so I would hazard a guess that theives here are not really expecting to find cash.
Even many street vendors these days accept MercadoPago because no one ever seems to have cash to buy their socks or tissues with!

So I guess if one gets robbed handing over the phone and watch or even your shoes will suffice, which they will surely turn into a much bigger wad of cash than any wallet here can currently accommodate.

I recall the time in 2019 I was stopped on Libertador by two guys, one of them purportedly with a knife. I instinctively pulled out my wallet. They just laughed at me and proceed to relieve me of the electronic item they were after, which was of so little value (to me) and I didn't even think to produce it.

Back