How do you pay in Argentina?

I got a Benji in my phone case, but since I’m in Argentina I thought maybe to change it to a high denomination peso? What is a 100 dollar equivalent for peso? Not necessarily exchange rate equivalent, but something as useful as a $100 bill is in USA that can be used in an emergency, but yet not too high that a store can’t take it.
USD cash money will be accepted in any situation to might find yourself in. I'm not talking like you need money for a cab, I'm talking you're hemmed up by the police or some immigration officer.

Safest a few 1000 peso bills in your socks. Besides a few hundred peso bills in your pockets..!! When they ask you to empty your pockets..!

I always kept a few throw-down bills in my front pocket (to throw as you run) or an old empty wallet with 100 pesos. If I needed to carry more it would be in my sock or ankle wallet. I've seen many woman, mostly older, reach into their bra/bank when paying at the verduleria etc.

If the cambio gets much worse I'll need to figure out how to camouflage a wheelbarrow...

USD cash money will be accepted in any situation to might find yourself in. I'm not talking like you need money for a cab, I'm talking you're hemmed up by the police or some immigration officer.
I saw a person with similar mentality literally thrown out of the immigration building on Av. Antartida. On the positive side he did still have money for a cab.

I always kept a few throw-down bills in my front pocket (to throw as you run) or an old empty wallet with 100 pesos.
My reaction of instinctively handing over my wallet rather than my phone (in the robbery anecdote on Libertador mentioned above) probably stemmed from the fact that the only previous time this had happened to me had been 30 years earlier in a very crowded Plaza Bolivar in Lima. On that occasion, I was relieved of precisely one of those wallets that contain hardly any money at all, while the rest of the day's planned expenses are concealed in less easy-to-reach nether regions. Nevertheless, for some unaccountable reason, I was furious and set off in hot pursuit of the thief. After a few seconds, I noticed that he was a rather portly fellow and that in a matter of moments I would soon run him down. Like the dog about to actually catch the passing car, I began to doubt the wisdom of fighting over 2 pesos and gave up the chase. A few minutes later, a mysterious hand holding my empty and worthless wallet reached out from within the multitude and returned it to me.

January 27 and 28, 2022:

I saw a person with similar mentality literally thrown out of the immigration building on Av. Antartida. On the positive side he did still have money for a cab.

June 26, 2014:
So I have overstayed my 90 days in Argentina. I went to immigration office in cordoba(where I am flying out of) to pay the tax. A page in my passport that is completely irrelavent is torn. They say they cannot let me pay the tax because of this. I have travelled across borders many times and never an issue. I dont know if they are looking for a bribe?

How I see my options now. Wake up in the morning hope I get different people/try to bribe. If that fails get on bus from Cordoba to EZE in BA try to do it there and bus back to catch my flight out of Cordoba to Colombia. If that doesnt work try to play stupid/bribe immigration when leaving Cordoba.
Its not easy to bribe people. This is not to say that there are no bribes, but you can´t go and just offer one in immigrations or in many other places.
Exactly! If it were that easy to bribe people in AR, I would have been studying an undergraduate degree at UBA years ago!

Usually people who want bribes come to you. Not vice-versa.
I actually offered a bribe when I first got here to get by visa. Employee started screaming, in English "what do you think we are, a banana republic!!!!!!!!!???!!!" made things worse. The worse thing you can do is go arround offering one, you would probably need an intermediary. And all said in done, getting passport replaced will be less expensive and quicker.

Source: https://baexpats.org/threads/refused-when-trying-to-pay-overstay-fine.30601/#post-262965

The only time I had to pay an "extra fee" was at EZE in 2006 when I did not have the "correct" paperwork to bring my dog into the country.

When I asked "What can I do?" the airport vet told me I could take my dog back to Mexico or give him an extra $100 USD (in addition to the regular customs fee which, if I remember correctly, was less than $10 USD).

I never offered a bribe. I simply complied.

Last edited:
Are these violent robberies a real threat in Buenos Aires, I mean statistically speaking do I need to worry about it? I had so far a good experience, and have been mainly worried about pick pockets or someone grabbing my electronics and running off. I noticed many wearing their backpacks on the front. I wear mine on the back but put a mini combination lock on the zipper sometimes if I have something valuable in there. I've been in some bad neighborhoods and haven't felt that threatened, though I've been trying to be aware of my surroundings. I always try to keep my gear non flashy, even in the states, but sometimes that's hard to hide if you have quality items. For example, the Ipad pro with magic keyboard and Apple pencil stuck to it looks very flashy here, but that's something I can't do much about and I'm frequently at coffee shops and such doing things on it. I'm especially worried when sitting at outdoor seating with it, someone could easier grab it and run off, but with the pandemic and good weather it's tempting to want to sit outside.

Are these violent robberies a real threat in Buenos Aires, I mean statistically speaking do I need to worry about it? I had so far a good experience, and have been mainly worried about pick pockets or someone grabbing my electronics and running off. I noticed many wearing their backpacks on the front. I wear mine on the back but put a mini combination lock on the zipper sometimes if I have something valuable in there. I've been in some bad neighborhoods and haven't felt that threatened, though I've been trying to be aware of my surroundings.

If you are going into a bad neighborhood, I suggest that you do not take your backpack, but I also suggest you never go into a bad neighborhood in the first place.

You being "aware of your surroundings" won't prevent anyone who has the desire to rob you from doing so, especialy if they se you walking alone.

I always try to keep my gear non flashy, even in the states, but sometimes that's hard to hide if you have quality items. For example, the Ipad pro with magic keyboard and Apple pencil stuck to it looks very flashy here, but that's something I can't do much about and I'm frequently at coffee shops and such doing things on it.

You're setting yourself up as a target. It's that simple. Snatch and run theives will take anything they can, even a non flashly laptop like my old Dell 1545. Bags that were placed on the floor under the table in cafes (even in "safer" neighborhoods) have vanished while their owners were sitting there.

I'm especially worried when sitting at outdoor seating with it, someone could easier grab it and run off, but with the pandemic and good weather it's tempting to want to sit outside.
Your desire is understandable and concern is justified. In 2008 I was walikng on Av Santa Fe near Callo and an elderly couple was sitting at at sidewalk table in front of El Farol. The table was on the sidewalk, next to the curb. The woman had her purse draped over the back of her chair next to the curb and her husband had his over'sized wallet open on the table in front of him.

As I walked past I could see the tops of his credit cards. After a few more steps I reversed course and returned to their table. I asked if they spoke English. The man said yes and I told him to immediately get his wallet off the table and his wife to take her purse from the back of her chair.

Then I explained why.

Last edited:
If you are going into a bad neighborhood, I suggest that you do not take your backpack, but I also suggest you never go into a bad neighborhood in the first place.

You're setting yourself up as a target. It's that simple. Snatch and run theives will take anything they can, even a non flashly laptop like my old Dell 1545. Bags that were placed on the floor under the table in cafes (even in "safer" neighborhoods) have vanished while their owners were sitting there.

Your desire is understandable and concern is justified. In 2008 I was walikng on Av Santa Fe near Callo and an elderly couple was sitting at at sidewalk table in front of El Farol. The table was on the sidewalk, next to the curb. The woman had her purse draped over the back of her chair next to the curb and her husband had his over'sized wallet open on the table in front of him.

As I walked past I could see the tops of his credit cards. After a few more steps I reversed course and returned to their table. I asked if they spoke English. The man said yes and I told him to immediately get his wallet off the table and his wife to take her purse from the back of her chair.

Then I explained why.

Yes, I’m very worried about it. The street seating with a laptop isn’t very safe unless you’re in some part of the street seating that’s a bit more enclosed which is a bit safer. And then there’s also the possibility that someone notices you and follows you home. Yes, I try not to go into bad neighborhoods, but it’s not always easy to predict. Also, not always clear to me what is good or bad neighborhood, except for signs of poverty and graffiti seem to be some hints. Sometimes my Airbnb take me into bad neighborhoods that I failed to figure out before I booked it. Though I will also say that the “bad” neighborhoods I saw so far I didn’t feel very threatened. There were many nice people and my main concern was looking out of place. I’m trying to book my future Airbnbs closer to Recoleta. Palermo seems a bit more prone to theft I feel.

Yes, I’m very worried about it. The street seating with a laptop isn’t very safe unless you’re in some part of the street seating that’s a bit more enclosed which is a bit safer. And then there’s also the possibility that someone notices you and follows you home.

Since arriving in 2006 I have only returned to the USA twice, both times in 2008. I'm not sure if it was during the first trip in March or the second trip in October, but during one of them, two men were waiting in front of my building late at night as two young women who lived in an apartment two floors above mine approached the front entrance.

The men told them they were there to see the Americano who lived on the fourth floor and, for unknown (if not unforgivable) reason, the girls let them in. After they got in the small (four person capacity) elevator, the men pulled knives and they stopped at the fourth floor. As I wasn't there to answer the door, they proceded to the women's apartment, but left after not finding anything worth stealing.

In the three years I lived there, I don't think anyone ever "followed me home" but I frequently bought paintings at the afternoon art auctions at the Banco Ciudad. I occasionally walked home from the center, carrying the paintings in canvas bags with the Banco Ciudad logo screen printed on both sides. Only once, a few blocks from my apartment, while I was carrying one of the bags, a man tried to talk to me in Englsih, but I ignored him (acting like I never heard him and not looking at him). I continued walking to my apartment, but I went past it and doubled back after I was sure no one was follwing me.

I’m trying to book my future Airbnbs closer to Recoleta. Palermo seems a bit more prone to theft I feel.

The olny time I rented an apartment in Argentina,for six months after my arrival in 2006, was in Palermo, near Alto Palermo Shopping. It was located at the corner of Guise and Charcas,in a beautiful new building.

I never had any problems there and ever had any concerns about my safety. As it was a furnished apartment, I didn't do much shopping and never had anything delivered. I didn't start buying furniture and art until after I bought the apartmnt I lived in until 2009.

That was the apartment I was living in when the two men who wanted to rob me entered the building with the two women .

It was in Recoleta, on Aranales near the corner of Junin.

Last edited:
Back