How Exactly Do I Get My Iphone 5 In Service In Ba

NickCH

Registered
So I'm aware I need some type of chip or card installed in the iPhone5 and planned on using a pay-as-you-go type plan from Movistar. What is the chip/card called exactly? Just want to clarify what exactly to ask for before heading there. Also, if anybody knows (ballpark) prices for the pay-as-you-go type deal, that would be great! Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Nano SIM: http://phonepartsusa.com/apple-iphone/iphone-5-accessories-case-cases-protector-charger/iphone-5-sim-card-cutter-tool001083?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=CJOj8cbqzLUCFQeznQodeSoAvQ

Make sure it is factory unlocked first, otherwise it will not work. If you got it from Verizon, or an Apple store (unlocked) you should be ok, otherwise you may not be able to use it here.

Nano sim, most stores can cut down a full size sim, if not I have a sim cutter that I can loan out to needy expats. It's about 1.5 pesos to make a call and about .7 to send a text and 10mb (max) daily for 1 peso. Those are rough numbers. In Argentina calling parties pay all airtime so its expensive to call but free to get called.

If I may, I suggest that if you're here for a short visit, avoid bringing/using the iPhone 5 here. Too tempting for pickpockets. Likely not worth it.
You can buy a phone locally for U$D 40 or even less.

when I was in BsAs in October I had my Iphone 4 stolen (pickpocket) and upon returning to the US bought a Iphone 5 that was factory locked with ATT contract. I have a home in Mexico and need to be able to access Telmex cell service. I was able to unlock the phone through a local businessman for $50 and bought a new nano chip from Telcel and it works perfectly. When I go back to the US I simply change the chip and and I am good to go!

hope this is helpful

Thanks for the great advice everybody. As soon as I can make it, i'll try to stop by Movistar Palermo. And yes, pickpocketing is quite popular here. Just on Wednesday my ipod was taken right out of my backpack in San Telmo (definitely my fault for keeping it there, however). ALWAYS keep your wallet and anything valuable in your front pockets.

Back