How "free" Are Expats In Argentina?

steveinbsas

Registered
The following comment appeared yesterday (on another website) after I posted that I have more freedom now (in Argentina) than I had when I left the USA:

"Folks, there are exactly ZERO havens of freedom in Latin America, but if I had to rank all the Latin countries according to degree of freedom, Argentina would be very close to the wrong end of the list. Not to mention they are known for producing the very best murderous dictators! "

I think it would be interesting to know how other expats gage their level of freedom in Argentina and if they live in fear of the Argentine government.

There are more similarities between the quality of freedom in Argentina and the USA than in any other Latin American country. That is not to say there are no distinctions. For example, the civil justice system in Arg needs reformation though not in the way it is being undertaken. On the other hand both seem to share some executive power similarities of heavyhandedness. For example:

"The Internal Revenue Service was forced to apologise for targeting Tea Party groups for extra review in the lead-up to the 2012 election campaign, as a political storm enveloped the agency charged with collecting US taxes.

The revelation that the IRS had improperly scrutinised the tax-exempt status of Tea Party activist groups provoked an angry reaction among conservatives and Republicans on Capitol Hill.

A number of conservatives labelled the IRS’s conduct “Nixonian”, comparing it to the notorious way the late Richard Nixon misused presidential power to pursue his political enemies before his impeachment."

Nixonian? CFK's AFIP conduct would make the IRS's indiscretions seem like small potatoes..

I certainly feel more free here.

1. I don`t work any more.

2. No Traffic TICKETS. Almost non existent here. In 5 years I had no more than $300 pesos in official tickets, and no more that $200 pesos in unofficial (in the policemen`s hands, mostly because I am driving with a Canadian Driver License). Grand TOTAL no more than $500 pesos. In Toronto I dared to argue with a policeman once, he handed me 3 tickets in ONE SHOT US$470.

3. 8.5 years perma-tourist and no one ever bothered me (not immigration / not driving / etc ). This would be unthinkable in good ol Toronto.

4. Free from severe harsh weather, (my brittle bones can`t take it any more).

The problem is that everyone else is more free than I am:

1. ROBBERY & VANDALISM. First week I got my new car, I did not have indoor parking yet, the stereo was gone. Year later my spare tire was gone in Mar Del Plata. Returning home (MicroCentro) one night after tennis, Big crowds around Obilisco, weaving my way through a sea of people, suddenly they smashed 3 windows, my mirror, banged the hell out of my side 2 doors, broke my door lock. Insurance piad ONLY for the 3 windows. I had to foot the bill for everything else (I shit in my pants, but this is beside the point).

2. Government feels free to take 5 pesos out of every Dollar I get from the ATM.

3. They are free to forbid any thing that is not pizza or melanisa etc etc ... Food is very difficult.

4. Hard to know exactly what is the law. I have not been able to solve my residency status for the past 8.5 years. (Admit it has been partially my fault that I stayed oblivious to my status, but it is because I get discouraged every time I try and don`t get anywhere.

Why did they attack YOUR car? This is something I didn't know about. Just vandals? Or did they think they had a reason?

Well I guess you feel free until something happens and you don't. I love that I can cross the street somewhere besides a crosswalk and not get a ticket or some policeman blowing a whistle. I like that they think I just might have the good sense to know if a car is coming it isn't prudent to step in front of it. I get a little scared when the taxis slow and don't stop at red lights. A man who is Argentine and lives (or lived) in Florida told me that when he moved to the States he was stopped three times by police before he finally understood that in the United States S-T-O-P really means stop. :D But things seem not so micro managed here and I like it. It "feels" free. But I know there were periods where it didn't feel free in Argentina. I wasn't here then. Surprisingly I do feel more free here than in the States. What about you SteveinBsAs. Since you asked, I'm interested in YOUR opinion.

Arlean:

That was the final day of Argentina bicentenary (10`s of thousands of people). They did not want me to drive through them. The policeman let me get through to go home. I was like 1 or 2 km/hour with blinking lights no horns very careful, but still they did not like it. They were totally stoned drunk.

There are different interpretations of freedom. From a personal liberties perspective it's a mixed bag. I am free to; drive my car and not use my seat belt, put my kids on the back of my motorcycle or bicycle without a helmet, not stop a stop signs, have by toddler stand up in the front seat of my car between me and my wife, free to throw my McDonald's bag into the street (all of which I think is absurd). On the other hand, I don't feel to; be interviewed on Lanata and speak my mind about the hag running this country, defend myself on the street or in my house and get support from the judiciary, exchange the increasingly worthless paper they call Pesos for real money, or to travel abroad if I work here and make my salary in Pesos.

Overall, I have more economic freedom here than in the US. My equivalent lifestyle in the US would cost me almost 2X what it does here. I do feel I'm missing some things like free-market products. That part is not free.

My kids here will have nowhere near the opportunity for career options and advancement that I did in the US. But their university will be free. :)

I find the comment about murderous dictators absurd. Someone needs to get a history book and actually read it.

The US is slowly descending into a fascist security state. You can see it as soon as you arrive at the airport. Now there are "Kill Lists" and drones. New laws that allow citizens and foreigners alike to be arrested and detained indefinitely without trial.

In comparison Argentina is a bastion of freedom.

I feel free to go To Mercado Central to buy cheaper groceries...!!

However if everyone went there they would run out of cheap merchandise... :confused: I wonder

Rich One:
Did you find any good mango there?
( Ain`t cruel to be asking a question like this in a tropical country?)

Back