How Has South America Changed You?

Its changed me from being a moderate meat eater enjoying various succulent meats , vegtables and different cuisines from different cultures into a ravaging flesh eating, bone licking maniac not seen since the likes of 10,000 BC.

Ditto

I am sure of all of the people on this forum, I have been longer in Argentina than anyone! 1959!
that being said, there are so many positive things from living and having lived here as many negative things which form the person who I am. And that is true about anyplace! And I have both many of the good as well as the bad traits and I am really only made to realize the bad traits when I return to Prague and am stopped and /or told about them.
I cross the street where I want(police have stopped numerous times) and don;t wait for stop lights to change, enter places without paying when possible, travel with buying a ticket on public transport, etc all things I learned here. I also am friendly to tourists and help them when I can, offer help to blind people, leave food out for the homeless,etc . all things I also learned here, too! Something you dont see in Prague from locals on the whole!!
Argentina also gave me a beautiful and rich language called castellano or as you wish, spanish. It also lets me feel that there is never a bad time to have a glass or two of wine and to enjoy a siesta. This is why the current and often previous situation(s) of this maginficent country make me so mad, upset and sad! But despite it all, Argentina, te amo! :wub:

Its changed me from being a moderate meat eater enjoying various succulent meats , vegtables and different cuisines from different cultures into a ravaging flesh eating, bone licking maniac not seen since the likes of 10,000 BC.
Me too :) Can't believe how much meat I can eat and still take a dp.

Esteban.I'm not sure if you meant South America or specifically Argentina.As you know some L.A. countries and cultures are different from the others and some,markedly so.Using Argentina as home base since 1979,I have visited or lived for short periods in most of L.A. From all of them I have taken away a better sense of what it is to be a real,live,feeling human being and not only a number.In all of L.A. you are YOU and only you.People are interested in you as a real person .What YOU think and,above all,what YOU feel.This is why Latins make very good doctors.However,economically there still exist changes to be made.Some countries are making them faster abd better than others.The keys,of course,are economic stability and social mobility.Here Chile and Brazil stand out the most.From the latter 2 I have taken away seeing and hearing personal stories of satisfaction about finally achieveing social mobility.Things are,indeed,better in both of these 2 countries and it is due to their own effort.This makes me very happy for them as people.Concerning the American Dream which is in definite flux,I will say nothing for the moment.

It is interesting to see how individuals have different responses to how SA has changed them. I think some of us tend to focus on and pay attention to different aspects of culture and life. I also know that at different ages I have focused on and understood things differently then I do now. Not saying anyone is right or wrong just that the differeances are interesting.

Well, it depends a lot on the reason one moved to Sourh America in the first place. I don't think anybody came here for a career shift, so that's why we don't hear much complains about the lack of. Though I am still surprised to see a lot of rich people here. Where I come from, people with the money keep them in the bank and don't show it off so much, whereas people who would like to change their social status tend to be more flashy about the little (relatively speaking) they are making.

Today I was at Falabella and I was amazed at how pricey some kitchenware and kitchen appliances were, considering the low quality and very small selection available.
Who would spend over 9000 ARS on a KitchenAid?! I don't think they even have the various attachments for sale here...

Today I was at Falabella and I was amazed at how pricey some kitchenware and kitchen appliances were, considering the low quality and very small selection available.
Who would spend over 9000 ARS on a KitchenAid?! I don't think they even have the various attachments for sale here...

Yeah the sticker shock seems to be something that just does not go away even after almost a decade. It is strange how many things I do not buy just because of sticker shock I am like well I am not paying that much for that. But here many are used to that I guess.

Back