How Has South America Changed You?

Sometimes I actually leave the bathroom without washing my hands.... ( hanging my head in shame)

If anyone else tells you they never did that they are a lying. Like surfers that tell you they do not pee in the their wet suits. I have pissed in my wet suit more times than I can count.

Poverty and corruption ? Hardly. These happen in every country. Argentina affects me in many good ways even though I complain about it all the time. It has been a nice experience, I do not have a single thread of regret. And there are many good looking AR women, that helps too.
And men :)

I've loosened up I suppose -- which is both good and bad. :p I don't think you can live here and have the same expectations as where you're from. Things that used to really bother or shock me, don't affect me as much.

It's hard to tell what's been most influential, though... the people and general culture, or my age and the individuals I am around.

Yeah, yo all become better people living in Argentina. That says something! Let's see what we could do if we are thrown into prison :)

Its changed me from being a moderate meat eater enjoying various succulent meats , vegtables and different cuisines from different cultures into a ravaging flesh eating, bone licking maniac not seen since the likes of 10,000 BC.

So many ways, but I'll focus on the literary aspect. I had read much of Garcia Marquez before coming to South America years ago, but little else from south of the border. Since then I've had the pleasure of being introduced to many outstanding writers, including Vargas Llosa, Cortazar, as well as my favorite, Roberto Bolano.

Fortunately, my experience here has not turned me into a hate filled, right wing spambot.

Its made me realize that the "American Dream" is more true than I previously believed in the US.

I also eat dinner later.

Ha, I actually feel the opposite, that now being on the outside I think the "American Dream" is a total sham. Sure, I did just fine as a white middle-classer but it's much harder/almost impossible for people of other backgrounds. EDIT: just read the post above from EricLovesBA, and yes, I totally agree, that even if you can have it, Ive realized that its maybe empty and unfulfilling. I just can't buy into the whole "career" thing and that you have to keep getting more stress, more responsibility just to make a little more money and to be "successful". Sure, if you love what you're doing maybe it's great, but let's be honest, the majority of us are working doing cualquier cosa just to pay the bills. But, the truth or fallacy of the american dream is a whole other thread :)

On a more positive note, I've definitely pulled myself away from the materialistic things and buy way less "stuff" than I ever did in the states (at first just because it was more difficult to obtain and now because I realize I dont need it). I definitely am more grateful for whatever I have. I also really enjoy that people actually take the time to enjoy company, that you can make dinner plans at 9pm for that night (as opposed to having to make them weeks in advance like in the US), and of course the later schedule as I am a night owl through and through. I think people here have a lot less of a lot of things, but I still believe they are happier in the long run, due to the time spent relaxing and decompressing with family and friends.

Its changed me from being a moderate meat eater enjoying various succulent meats , vegtables and different cuisines from different cultures into a ravaging flesh eating, bone licking maniac not seen since the likes of 10,000 BC.
I just had to comment on this because after a year living on an estancia I stopped eating meat! So funny. I was not a huge meat eater before, so after a year of eating A LOT of meat, it was like my body just told me to stop. I had never really considered cutting out meat and it was not even a concious decision, I just woke up one morning and didn't eat any more meat. (I still eat some fish though so I am not a vegetarian.) It has been much easier than I could have imagined (I think there has been a big change over the last five years of so from what people tell me) although I wonder what it will be like if I travel to the north.

Other things: I feel much more creative. I don't know if it is because there are a lot of creative people here and many peple seem to be into film, literature, theatre, etc., OR because of all the "creative" stuff I had to do while running a hotel in the countryside, but I feel different in that way. I am still a rigid Scandinavian but I am much more into dancing and I even want to make a film now - and it seems like a reasonable thing to do.

Back