How is this area of town?

lostnation

Registered
Hi,

I am a 29-yr old moving to BA in January for at least 3-4 months, hopefully more. I found some furnished studios for rent in a building at Lima & Humberto 1 on buenosairesrentals.com.ar. I was hoping for some feedback on this area, in terms of location and noise, since it is literally right next to Avenue 9 de Julio. From what I've read, it seems like San Telmo would be the neighborhood most up my alley, though I know this area isn't quite part of San Telmo, maybe Congresso?

Well, looking forward to any info that might help inform where I choose to book a place. Thanks for helping an excited future ex-pat get on his way!

Noah

i would say think again about this apartment i bet the price is nice but there is usually a reason for that. it is better to pay a bit more to live somewhere a bit safer... what i know of this area is it is very close to two freeways and where there are freeways there are people living under them,near them and around them .. the traffic is heavy as well bc most of the buses are making there way the the train station. it is also near constitucion, which is dangerous and consider the red zone... in congresso it really depends on where you are because it you are close to the congress there are a lot of demonstrations and lots of noise.. like all the barrios here, there are good and bad places... i would recommend a place to live that is near a subte or a major street which a lot of buses pass that way it will help you get around. just be careful, in barrios such as, Once and Constitucion and retiro, these are all close to the train stations and have a tendency to be more dangerous... i hope that this information will help
laura

That is Constitucion, it is not nice and not very safe during the day and gets worse at night. It is quite noisy, especially on Lima ( dozens of bus lines go on this ave. )

Laura, Nikad, thanks! That is very useful information and confirms my suspicion that the deal was too good to be true. I'll keep looking for a safer neighborhood. Any recommendations for resources to rent furnished apartments other than the site I mentioned?

I'll also check the other posts in the apt/roommate area for rental resources :)

I use ByT whenever we have friends or relatives coming over to visit. If you are looking for areas that are not so touristy ( cheaper ) yet safe, I would go for Almagro, Congreso, Colegiales, Villa Crespo, San Cristobal, Montserrat. Avoid Constitucion, Abasto, etc. This people are very honest and might be able to help you, tell them Veronica recommended you ( I helped them out a couple of years ago ) http://www.charcasinn.com.ar
Good Luck hunting!

Hi Noah
We're a US (Boston) / Argentine (Buenos Aires) couple who rent a place on the border of downtown and Puerto Madero. We would be delighted to show you our place which is available from January. We have preferential pricing for longer term (ie more than 1 month) contracts. Even if you might not fit with our offer, please feel free to contact us if you have any questions on Buenos Aires. We would be happy to help. It's a wonderful city and we're thrilled to share our knowledge.
http://www.mybairesapartments.com/e...es-city-centre/room-2-alem-art-deco-1188.html

Very best wishes
Jennifer and Leandro

Thanks for recommending your place. Unfortunately it is a bit more than I'm looking to pay, but I appreciate the offer and will definitely keep you guys in mind in re. to questions that will undoubtedly come up. I'm trying to find a studio with a balcony and internet for $6-700. Asking a lot I know, but I'm hoping something will turn up. It's funny that you are from Boston, I've been living in Allston for about a year after being a Boston resident some years back while I went to Emerson. Well, thanks again!

Hi! I ssaw you post looking for an apartment. I am renting my 2 room Palermo ap ( + private 25m terrace and air consitioner) cause I am not living in BA for the moment. I have already rented the apartment through BA EXPATS and the person is leaving at the end of December. The ap. has a great loacation, near Las Canitas, Palermo Hollywood and all transports. It's really cool area, full of sun as well. Let me know if you wish to receive more details and pictures. my email: [email protected]
bye!
Lute

lostnation said:
Hi,

I am a 29-yr old moving to BA in January for at least 3-4 months, hopefully more. I found some furnished studios for rent in a building at Lima & Humberto 1 on buenosairesrentals.com.ar. I was hoping for some feedback on this area, in terms of location and noise, since it is literally right next to Avenue 9 de Julio. From what I've read, it seems like San Telmo would be the neighborhood most up my alley, though I know this area isn't quite part of San Telmo, maybe Congresso?

Well, looking forward to any info that might help inform where I choose to book a place. Thanks for helping an excited future ex-pat get on his way!

Noah

I wrote an extensive post about finding housing here, it's in the articles section. Also, I have a big one bedroom in Congreso (an area I really like) that I rent for $550 a month. I'm moving out December 19, if you're interested I can send you pictures and the inmobilario's information. It would include a commission, unfortunately, though I realized too late that I could have circumnavigated him by just cutting a deal with the person who showed me the place.

Hi Noah,

Lima and Humberto 1 isn't so bad, I live one block away and one block back on Salta and Carlos Calvo. It's close to both Independencia and San Juan subway stations and although strictly in Constitucion, it's still classified as Monserrat by locals because it's on the right side of avenida San Juan.
It's not Palermo, but it has a lot of local flavour!

Back