How is this area?

Xeneizes

Registered
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a single apartment. I've been here 8 months living in a shared one. I found one that I think fits me well which I will visit tomorrow. I wanted to get a few opinions on the location, but I know that because it's not Recoleta or Palermo people are probably going to tell me its dangerous. I currently live in Recoleta, and I have no problem experiencing other areas of the city. I am a guy.

If anyone can give me a serious opinion without rich expat bias I would greatly appreciate it.

The apartment is located near Riobamba and Rivadavia - very close to the Congreso plaza.

Also, if anyone knows good sites to see single apartments for rent like SoloDuenos I would appreciate it. Looking for around a 6 month lease with no garantia. I have used that and craigslist so far in my search.

That's a few blocks from where I live. To be honest, I don't particularly like living in that neighborhood, and only do so because my partner owns our home. BUT it's not completely unbearable! The benefits of that location are the many bus stops and subway stations nearby, as well as being within walking distance of Santa Fe, Recoleta, San Telmo, Centro. You're right near Corrientes, which has bookstores, gelaterias, cafes, and theaters. I've never had to walk more than a block or two to find an ATM, hardware store, Pago Facil, or kiosk. You're on the 60 bus line, which takes you everywhere from Constitucion station to Recoleta to Las Canitas. The main downside is the insecurity... it's just sketchy, especially after dark. I've come home to find passed-out drunks on my doorstep (and on one particularly delightful occasion, a pile of human excrement.) On weekends, I've been woken up at 6am by the drunks (maybe coming out of the boliches?) just standing on the street, screaming. Lots of litter and broken sidewalks; it's not a city priority like Recoleta. It's the kind of area where you'll probably be fine; you just want to avoid walking around alone at night (case in point: my partner was assaulted by 4 teenage thugs about a month ago, walking back from the Rivadavia bus stop at 10pm.) There are very few quality verdulerias, and on Sundays, NOTHING is open except for Starbucks. And if you spend many nights out in Palermo, you might want to factor in the cost of cab rides home (about 30 pesos from Palermo Hollywood, as of a few months ago.) So I guess I'd say that it's not particularly "nice," but livable, especially if you've found a good apartment deal that makes a non-posh neighborhood more worth it.

starlucia said:
and on Sundays, NOTHING is open except for Starbucks.

Starbucks that opened a couple of weeks ago or so? La Americana across the street is open on Sundays, as well as Martinez half a block away on Callao. Probably, Cervantes II on Peron. If you go a couple of blocks up Rivadavia - Los Angelitos and Bellagamba are open.

It is a working neighborhood that is on the rise, I think. And yes, homeless people can ask you for change, especially on Congreso plaza.

Close proximity to Congreso is another thing. You will probably see any demonstration and any kind of protest that is going on. It may be good or bad thing, depending on what you are looking for.

Why don't you take a walk there first during day time, then at, say, 9pm and see whether it is for you.

Xeneizes said:
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a single apartment. I've been here 8 months living in a shared one. I found one that I think fits me well which I will visit tomorrow. I wanted to get a few opinions on the location, but I know that because it's not Recoleta or Palermo people are probably going to tell me its dangerous. I currently live in Recoleta, and I have no problem experiencing other areas of the city. I am a guy.

If anyone can give me a serious opinion without rich expat bias I would greatly appreciate it.

The apartment is located near Riobamba and Rivadavia - very close to the Congreso plaza.

Also, if anyone knows good sites to see single apartments for rent like SoloDuenos I would appreciate it. Looking for around a 6 month lease with no garantia. I have used that and craigslist so far in my search.

"Without rich expat bias" LOl get a load of you! Great neighborhood and people will respect you more if you were a gold Rolex.

I live 3 blocks from Riobamba & Rivadavia. I have lived here for about 2 years now and have been coming to the area for the past 5 that I have lived in Argentina. While it's not a "hip" area, it certainly does have it's level of prestige. The best architecture in all of Buenos Aires is in this neighborhood, you are in walking distance to EVERYTHING, you have every dining option in the world, and now even 2 Starbucks in walking distance (Callao & Mitre and Av. de Mayo & Santiago del Estero). There are some blocks that are better than others and the intersection you name is one of the better ones. There is a very high end medical clinic called "Sagrado Corazón" on that block which is like a small hospital and for that reason there are people around day and night. On the other side of Callao, at night it's more deserted, so if you have to walk home at night stay on the main streets, Rivadavia, Callao, Entre Rios, etc. and you will be fine.

I like Congreso a lot. The apartments seem to be relatively spacious (especially the old-style ones) and while the plaza does tend to attract a lot of homeless, its busy enough around there (with all the pizza places, etc) to not feel any more unsafe than anywhere else. While its not Recoleta village or Plaza serrano, there are as many places open on sundays in Congreso than any other city barrio (Almagro, Villa Crespo, Chacarita, etc)...You're also well located for getting about the city on public transport.

I lived near there for a year and I really hated all the garbage and people sleeping in the streets. I found it quite depressing. However I do agree agree that it is ultra-convenient.

Just check out Caballito near Parque Rivadavia on a Sunday noon, very live and safe at any time. No foreigners here to target, have everything you need, from a 20 min trip in subway to downtown, shopping, restos, etc.

New area to ask about! I might be setting for this place tomorrow so I'd really like to hear how it is.

This new flat is on the corner of Peru and Carlos Calvo.

That corner seemed quite nice but some of the surrounding streets were a bit dodgy. Anyone have any advice on this location?

Back