How long before Starbucks kills off the classic Argentinian cafe?

It won’t ever happen. For one- Starbucks is very expensive in Argentina. I know it’s not cheap practically anywhere in the world but in comparison to salaries in Argentina, even most professionals here don’t do the US style daily Starbucks coffee run, but see it as an occasional treat.

I don’t see the little old folks sitting in Starbucks the way they do in typical cafes for hours either.

Problem is rising rents and the typical (for now) confiterias with most people ordering just a relatively cheap espresso and 2 media lunas and lingering on those for ages are not very efficient. Bonafide and Martinez cost as much as Starbucks.

Starbucks opened the doors to its first store in Argentina in May 2008, its sixth market in Latin America. Local coffee shops are still in business. Starbucks is for American tourists.

I'm no Starbucks fanboy, but I think some people might be a bit out of touch with the current situation.

Here's an article about Starbucks' plan for expansion in Argentina (in Spanish):

At the time the article was published, there were 130 Starbucks stores in Argentina (85% of which were in Buenos Aires).

The article states they want to have 220 stores in the country by 2022.

They're not opening all of these locations to cater to American tourists. They're opening them because there is demand from locals. I like the old school coffee shops so this doesn't please me... but the reality is that Starbucks is taking over.

Like many present and ex-New Yorkers, I witnessed the whole Starbucks boom when
it first started, I think, in fhe 80s. Initially I liked the idea but then I came to feel that
the coffee wasn't as good and I resented the tip cups that were next to the registers,
and for some reason I resented that. The idea that a server behind a counter who
is victim of low wages and not-terrific working conditions would also expect a patron
to pay extra into the tip jar is not attractive to me. And yet I regularly tip at least
20 percent at most restaurants and bars. Ho hum.

Starbucks opened the doors to its first store in Argentina in May 2008, its sixth market in Latin America. Local coffee shops are still in business. Starbucks is for American tourists.

You must not be from Buenos Aires as Starbucks is 99% argentinian customers . Most older cafes are closing down due to the change of the marketplace and customers evolving tastes .

You must not be from Buenos Aires as Starbucks is 99% argentinian customers . Most older cafes are closing down due to the change of the marketplace and customers evolving tastes .

This may be true. Many things are changing in Argentina. I despise Starbucks.

And the number of Starbucks totally depends on the barrio. I only see them in the barrios where the people with money live. Get away from the microcentro, no Starbucks.

Sometimes a person just wants a quick shot of espresso in a HOT ceramic cup, no fuss, no long wait, and NO COLD coffee. To me Starbucks is just that. And, really most of the people are locals.
N

Back