How long before Starbucks kills off the classic Argentinian cafe?

You must not be from Buenos Aires as Starbucks is 99% argentinian customers . Most older cafes are closing down due to the change of the marketplace and customers evolving tastes .
Exactly, I frequent the two Starbucks (I am not a lover of coffee and like their frappes) in Devoto one in the shopping and the other on Beiro at the Meglaton. I have never seen another English speaker in any of these locations. I would say a select few Starbucks are making their money from tourists. There are no tourists in the barrios around me where there are Starbucks.

I think some people are out of touch and think 16-25-year old Argentine's want to sit in an old coffee shop or cafe. They want Starbucks and/or another modern place and are driving the company's expansion, not tourists.

Exactly, I frequent the two Starbucks (I am not a lover of coffee and like their frappes) in Devoto one in the shopping and the other on Beiro at the Meglaton. I have never seen another English speaker in any of these locations. I would say a select few Starbucks are making their money from tourists. There are no tourists in the barrios around me where there are Starbucks.

I think some people are out of touch and think 16-25-year old Argentine's want to sit in an old coffee shop or cafe. They want Starbucks and/or another modern place and are driving the company's expansion, not tourists.
I think this is true. It's like the change in restaurant culture. When I came here a long time ago all the restaurants had white table cloths and waiters with napkins over their arms. That is fast disappearing. You couldn't get glass by the wine - half bottle if you were lucky. That's changed. There used to be very few, if any, waitresses. Now there are quite a few. Food used to be very predictable but it is a lot more international now. There were almost NO 'ethnic' restaurants. That's changed. Good or bad, things change.

Guys, the coffee at starbucks is not that bad, really. And if you go to some uber hipster coffee shop, the coffee will be even MORE expensive.

Try chatting with some Starbucks employees some time. They usually seem pretty happy and are almost always friendly, unlike in the US where many seem very MAD.

Yep, I go to the Starbucks in Retiro pretty much every day and have never seen an American there. And on weekends I go to the Starbucks in Patio Bullrich and have never seen an american there either.

Where I do see TONS of Americans is in the mornings at the Park Hyatt coffee shop.

I would never give up the traditional cafe or bar notable for a Starbucks unless there is nothing else available in a 20 block radio

Never say Never Caramel Macchiato is what sells the most and all kids like....The old Fxxxs that order an American drip filter coffee once a week will not make a difference.....!

1565555174832.png

Back