How many of you made the move to Argentina solo?

I moved here solo about six weeks ago. Kind of a rough start because I picked the wrong place to live... things are getting better though and moving in Feb to Las Canitas. Making lots of friends... My Spanish is so-so, so I can get around for basic stuff.

If any of you want to try and link up for drinks or whatever, send me a line: [email protected]

Ciao!

Sal
www.myspace.com/nastysal =)

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to say thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm planning on arriving in BA in early May, 2009. I'm just trying to clear a few things up in Ireland before then!

Suerte.

I am trying to move in late April 2009. Solo...I have some contacts down there but I do not know the people. Hopefully, it will be okay.

Popper said:
I made the move solo as well - introduced to the city shortly thereafter as I was mugged on my third day in Plaza San Martin. Despite that everything has gone well. My Spanish is pretty limited, but I can get around on the bus/subway just fine and hope it'll improve with practice at work and elsewhere. I know it can be frustrating not being able to understand anyone!

I resurrected this thread in case there is anyone considering moving here without knowing anyone and not knowing any Spanish...and or looking for love.

Actually, I did make the "move" solo, but I really just came for a visit in 2006 and after six months decided to stay. Prior to my arrival in BA, I had lived in Mexico for five years and spoke some Spanish. That made a big difference. I "found" a girlfriend here in just a week, but that turned out to be the worst experience I've had here...so far.

I suggest anyone considering "moving" here now just come for a 30 day visit...with the option to extend if possible...and a ticket back home.

Hope for the best, but be prepared for serious disappointment. If you don't speak sat least some Spanish you won't even know how to get get past Argentines blocking the sidewalk or how to avoid being ripped off by a taxi driver, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Just click on the user names in this thread alone to see if these members are still here and posting.

Well, I didn't respond to this originally but yes, I moved here alone. And yes, I'm still here.

It's been a challenging time but I've managed to start up a company (subsidiary of the company I work for in the US), hire employees, find a great apartment and navigate around. My Spanish still sucks (of course I can communicate but it needs to improve) which is shameful- that is on my 2010 list.

It's *hard* to do it alone but you can.

This is a great thread. Thanks for the resurrection Steve. It sounds like most people have positive things to say, with the exception of you, which I've come to expect (and appreciate) from you. You always seem to take the counterpoint, and I am pretty sure you do it for the greater good. So, thank you for that as well.

I'm moving down solo, with no spanish, and I don't expect it to be a cakewalk. However, I do expect it to be an excellent life experience, and I know myself well enough to know that I will be just fine regardless of how tough it gets.

With that said, I cannot wait to get down there and meet as many of you as I can.

I will stress however, that I came here 3x before I made the decision to move here. So I had an idea of what I was getting into and some of the frustrations that I would experience.

I think that most people who move here without having spent a decent amount of time here first wind up being disappointed and disillusioned. Even if you've been here on vacation (and god knows, I am guilty of it), the reality of living here vs vacationing here is VERY DIFFERENT.

All of those little charming quirks that are easy to write off on vacation can become major headaches when you live here.

That being said, no matter whether I stay here permanently or not, I will always love Buenos Aires and the experiences I've had here - the good, the bad and the ugly.

This thread might be helpful:

Expats not happy, why stay?

Please note: HYT now is trying to sell her apartment (which I believe she decide to buy after being here for about ten days). It is being marketed as a property which was built by North Americans for North Americans. Unfortunatley it is not in a location that is desirable to North Americans. In my opinion, the price reflects continuing unrealistic expectations.

Salvsdor Russo's (aka "nasty sal") posts indicate that he did not rent in a desirable area upon arrival. He was also hopeful of finding a job, but I don't think he spoke much Spanish, if any, or understood the difficulties of working here, with or without the proper visa.

I also believe he is long gone.

http://www.argentineart.blogspot.com/

RobeartoNYC said:
This is a great thread. Thanks for the resurrection Steve. It sounds like most people have positive things to say, with the exception of you, which I've come to expect (and appreciate) from you. You always seem to take the counterpoint, and I am pretty sure you do it for the greater good. So, thank you for that as well.

If you take the time to read more of my posts you will find a lot of positive comments about life here. In many posts I have indicated that I am very happy and I'm here to stay, but I hate seeing so many others arrive with unrealistic expectations and insufficient information to achieve anywhere near the same degree of happiness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.argentineart.blogspot.com/

I noticed that MrBart visited this thread today.

Did you ever make the move?

Back