How many of you want to leave Bs As?

Aconcagua said:
Not to hijack the forum but can you explain in more detail the international custody issues you face in Argentina?

If one parent of a child born in Argentina wants to take the child out of Argentina the consent of the other parent is required. If consent is not granted the kid stays here.

The above is not unique to Argentina by the way, it's true in most countries. If both parents aren't traveling with the child, you MUST have permission from the non-traveling parent to leave. However, it's a valid point and something to think about before having a child in any country.

I've been here for 3 months, coming from a 3 year stint in Chicago.

I think it's easy to find things to hate when you're living in a big city, and Buenos Aires is no exception. But I have noticed the noise in this city is just too much. It's not even comparable to Chicago or other U.S. big cities.

Luckily for me, I'm here voluntarily and can go back to the states whenever I want. One year here and I'll be ready to leave.

Actually, I found living in BA on Arenales near Junin (2006-2009) and Amenabar near Congresso (2009-2010) much quieter than Chicago, but that's only because in Chicago (1995-2000) I lived almost directly below the "EL" (elevated train) on Grace near Sheffield. It ran 24/7. Even thought the trains went slower at night, sleep was often interrupted.

There was much less noise at night in BA (more in Recloeta than Nunez), but nothing compared to the roosters and dogs (24/7) near my house in Mexico (2000-2006).

Now that I'm living in the countryside of Argentina I can barely hear cars driving past my house at night (but I only hear them if I'm awake). There usually aren't more than three or four per night. The neighbor's roosters and dogs are far enough from my house that I can only hear them when I'm outside.

I was very happy to leave the city of Buenos Aires, but I have no desire to leave the province of Buenos Aires.

Over the last 5 years Argentina has gone DOWN THE DRAIN. I grew up in Buenos Aires, so I can tell you that it has it's great pro's and MANY con's now... I find that if I don't travel overseas to the states or Europe every couple of months I go crazy... Anyway I recognize that I'm a bit of a nut job hahahah...

Interesting posts - I have lived in Beijing and Shanghai for a total of five years (previously in US) and will be travelling to Argentina for the first time. Shanghai definitely has many of the same aspects from what people complain of - dirty, inflation, rude (imagine 23 million people in 1 city), developing relationships/frienships with Chinese people. The big difference is that the outlook for China is very positive, and even if finding a well payed job without fluent Chinese (a much harder language than Spanish), most feel it is the place to be in the world right now. In addition, there is no north american hatred in China. Most Chinese have high respect for the United States - want to study there, and ideally get a high paying job there so they can support their family members buy a nice house/taken care of. Thus, the motivation of the people may be a big difference as well.

I have studied Chinese every week three times for the past 7 years. I am still only 50% there, but it is a language I will continue studying for the next 20 years. I look forward to seeing the world of Argentina and brushing up my Spanish.

steveinbsas said:
Actually, I found living in BA on Arenales near Junin (2006-2009) and Amenabar near Congresso (2009-2010) much quieter than Chicago, but that's only because in Chicago (1995-2000) I lived almost directly below the "EL" (elevated train) on Grace near Sheffield. It ran 24/7. Even thought the trains went slower at night, sleep was often interrupted.

Ha, you're joking. Before moving to BA a year ago I lived in that exact spot in Chicago. Corner of Grace and Wilton. I could practically touch the trains if I stuck my arm out my kitchen window.

PastPerfect said:
Ha, you're joking. Before moving to BA a year ago I lived in that exact spot in Chicago. Corner of Grace and Wilton. I could practically touch the trains if I stuck my arm out my kitchen window.

I'm neither joking about the location or the inability to sleep at night. When I visited the girl in the apartment above me we often laughed at the fact that we could tell if passengers in the train were reading the Sun Times versus the Tribune (at least from her window).

My store was (almost) on the corner. Last time I checked a 3D map it was a real estate office.

Back