How many of you want to leave Bs As?

asadofan said:
you do sound rather confused va2ba..It´s a tough call,I came back from holiday in the UK in July,and for the first time in 7 years I didn,t really want to return.I guess it depends on your family,friends ,job etc,each to their own-good luck anyway

The plan all along has been to go back. We were married last December and hopefully we'll be in the states by this December. The biggest reason we are leaving is our daughter. I want her to be near her family (my wife only has one or two relatives) and to have the best chance that she can in life.

Its not so much that I want to leave BA. Its more that I want to go back home.

Gringoboy said:
What can I say?
The sentiment here has changed a great deal since I first came across this forum some years ago.

In April of 2006 (just after selling my house in Sayulita) I was still in Mexico and driving a van with Illinois license plates. In the parking lot of a grocery store in Puerto Vallarta I started talking with two men who were getting in a car that also had Illinois license plates.

They had just returned from a one week visit to BA.

Based upon what I learned from them (10 dollar steak dinners with wine/100K dollar apartments in Recoleta), a chat with a woman from Buenos Aires who was living in Mexico, and info I read on line, I flew to BA to check it out.

I came for a two month visit. After six months I bought an apartment in Recoleta.

Much has changed since then.

After four years in CF I moved to the Provinca Bs. As.

I am now living in the countryside, 650 KM from Capital Federal (near Bahia Blanca).

I have no regrets, but many others (still in CF) do.

After reading many posts here, I can only say that I feel sorry for lots of you. Obviously, some of you thought that this was a great place to live after partying almost everyday and spending peanuts back in the 2002 till perhaps 2006.
Apart from that, I think it'd be very mature if people accepted that it was more like a wrong perception on their side than pointing out at the argentine culture as a very bad one.
Every society has great things and extremely bad ones, but hey, if you can chose where you live and you made a wrong decision when coming here, why don't you just accept it instead of making a list of the drawbacks of a place where you're an alien?

angelskywalker said:
After reading many posts here, I can only say that I feel sorry for lots of you. Obviously, some of you thought that this was a great place to live after partying almost everyday and spending peanuts back in the 2002 till perhaps 2006.
Apart from that, I think it'd be very mature if people accepted that it was more like a wrong perception on their side than pointing out at the argentine culture as a very bad one.
Every society has great things and extremely bad ones, but hey, if you can chose where you live and you made a wrong decision when coming here, why don't you just accept it instead of making a list of the drawbacks of a place where you're an alien?

Who needs your pity or your attitude?

Most of those who are leaving now arrived well after 2006.

I arrived in 2006 and I'm here to stay.

Your bromide: "Every society has great things and extremely bad ones" is meaningless drivel.

The problem may not be the Argentine culture unless it's the acquiescence of the people to their own government.

angelskywalker said:
Every society has great things and extremely bad ones...
Wouldn't that be for each individual to decide? One person's "great" may be another's "bad", no?

stefano said:
I read some of these comments about the Portenos being rude, self-centered, etc. but to be honest, I think that's the case anywhere a person goes. There will always be idiots and morons in every country. I think it might be be better if the original post asked people what they like about BA. BTW, the United States is, in all likelyhood, still the best place on earth for an "average" joe to live and work. Yes, the US of A is expensive but at least I know that if I get tossed in jail I stand a good chance of getting out! Peace to all!

The thing is almost nobody gets tossed in jail in Argentina! Most of the criminals are on the street! In addition to lax police, laws are very liberal and punishments - when imposed at all - are light. If you doubt me, ask any competent criminal lawyer.

deeve007 said:
Wouldn't that be for each individual to decide? One person's "great" may be another's "bad", no?

So much for ethical relativism.

This is the epitome of mindlessness.

(When applied to moral issues.)

Oh, so if somebody says that they just "love the buzz of the millions of people crowding the streets of BA", but someone else says they "hate that it's so crowded all the time", one of them is "wrong"?

Or someone else says they "love the winter, the sharp freshness in the air", and someone else says they "hate the winter, it chills me to the bone", one of them is also wrong?

...etc ...etc.

As I said, each to their own, thank god.

I have been in 2008 and overall still love living there (although I am in Venezuela for 6 weeks for work).

I don't find the people as bad as many others seem to, and all my friends are Argentine and are all great people. One thing I do like about the people here as opposed to my own country and others I have visited is the level of, shall we say 'intellectual culture'. Here I can have a chat with nearly anyone about 'big ideas'. By that I mean politics, philosophy, literature etc. Portenos especially are a well read bunch of people on the whole, and don't look down on people who want to discuss this.

Plus, I think if you are bored here, you must be trying to be bored. So much to do. Culturally, or just plain ol' heading out for some drinks. Plus much of it is free. Plus the public transport is pretty good, and damn cheap.

What can I say. I like the place. So no, to answer the original post in a slightly long winded way (sorry), I don't plan on leaving.

steveinbsas said:
So much for ethical relativism.

This is the epitome of mindlessness.

(When applied to moral issues.)
Well from my reading of the thread, nobody had brought morality into the discussion until your post. So maybe just go delete it and your error will go unnoticed. ;)

Though saying that... even morality can be relative in many, many ways. There are very few morals that are (or should be) "set in stone" for everyone. Sure, some, but not many.

Back