How many of you want to leave Bs As?

What I take away from this thread is there are lot of expats who came to AR because, among other things, it was cheap, and when that was over so was the honeymoon. If you can live in a city with a lot going for it for a fraction of the price you can live at home, you can forgive a lot.

And that's fair enough, it's certainly not a place I'd want to live on a low peso salary.

So if they came to live here even 2 years ago, even last year, they can no longer live as they anticipated they would. Standing on line for 45 minutes everywhere you go can no longer be assuaged by a big steak and good Malbac for $15.

And I wonder if many don't understand the true expenses of living in their home countries today. If you left the US in 2009 you might not understand that getting the same level of job you had and the same salary will be tough for most. Salaries have gone down while rental prices have gone up because so many can no longer buy homes.

So my guess is Baires and AR in general remains attractive to those expats living on good foreign salaries, those that have bought or started successful businesses and in general those that can live well in a place that's still considerably cheaper than a major city in the US or Europe for the professional expat.

Ok, so everyone here is complaining about BsAs. Where would you suggest to go, instead?

I mean this honestly. I'm 1 month fresh here. So far, I have a few friends, I feel lonely, but I feel like all of this is as a result of my moving here by myself.

I'm in Sudamerica for 1 year. I fly out of EZE. However - I am not committed to staying in one place, and I have the ability to travel a little.

How is Cordoba? Quito? Cusco? Lima? Santiago? Montevideo?

I'm looking for an affordable city - hopefully even cheaper than BsAs. Where would you recommend?

Perhaps I stay here for the whole year and love it. I don't know. But for everyone's complaints, what all do you suggest as better places to go?

I don't have a problem with the porteños or Argentinos in general, I find them to be pretty dang nice in general once you start a dialogue with them. A few I'd like to hold on to as long term friends. Of course there are problems culturally and definitely a prevalence of bad attitude, xenophobia, racism, carelessness and desire to prosper by taking advantage of "walking ATMs" (aka foreigners) but I don't find that necessarily across the board with individuals. Then again, I've always been a microcosm person vs. a macrocosm person and have a hard time with sweeping generalizations. Maybe I've just had a good experience or exposure to a particularly good crew. That said, I'm still leaving but will certainly miss certain elements of life here when I'm gone.

pizza4breakfast said:
But for everyone's complaints, what all do you suggest as better places to go?
Just remember that for everyone that's a member of this forum, there's far, far more who are not, and who may love BA. Most of the expats I know in person living here love it. I myself couldn't see myself living here long term (just a little too big for me, too far from a beach) but I am certainly enjoying it's attractions for the time I am here, maybe 6 months, maybe a year.

Ho.. I miss my securtity... Ho I miss my high salary... I miss the peanut butter..!! and I miss my big belly like homer simpson!!, I cant take it any moreee :eek:.
If all you came here and in the most of cases lived here for a long 1, 2, or 3 years suffering in their palermo apartments like pigs. Why the hell you stay??. Get back now to the country of marvels, where never is economy troubles, the all people are kind, where a dog never ever barks close a church (krist sake), where the money and gold flows in the rivers, where the customer services are allwise an delight (by the way, a lot of you spoke before about great places for lauch or dinner more than once in some cases qualyfing it as exelents, and now are talking about bad services, I think everithing depends about the thread...:rolleyes:). Any way, more of the same: north americans=better lose'em than find'em.

[quote name='T'Brigadier']Ho.. I miss my securtity... Ho I miss my high salary... I miss the peanut butter..!! and I miss my big belly like homer simpson!!, I cant take it any moreee :eek:.
If all you came here and in the most of cases lived here for a long 1, 2, or 3 years suffering in their palermo apartments like pigs. Why the hell you stay??. Get back now to the country of marvels, where never is economy troubles, the all people are kind, where a dog never ever barks close a church (krist sake), where the money and gold flows in the rivers, where the customer services are allwise an delight (by the way, a lot of you spoke before about great places for lauch or dinner more than once in some cases qualyfing it as exelents, and now are talking about bad services, I think everithing depends about the thread...:rolleyes:). Any way, more of the same: north americans=better lose'em than find'em. [/quote]

Its funny, but everything bad that people are mentioning or complaining about in regards to this city, is EXACTLY what all the locals think as well. In the US, when someone who is not a local complains about something, we don't outcast them and tell them to go back home.

And when you say that we are all north americans (when in fact, there are a lot of Europeans and Aussies on here), you show where your prejudice really lies. Its hard to take all this anti north american crap seriously anymore. Maybe if you had actually met an American or been to the states, you would open your mind a little.

I dont know a city that is cheaper for a luxury lifestyle. My lifestyle would cost in Sao Paulo about 4 times more, Bogota and Santiago about 2 times, NY or LA about 5 times, Barcelona about 2 times.

Natal or Cape town seems like a nice choice in the same price range to spend from october to april if you are bored from Latin America

jb5 said:
What I take away from this thread is there are lot of expats who came to AR because, among other things, it was cheap, and when that was over so was the honeymoon. If you can live in a city with a lot going for it for a fraction of the price you can live at home, you can forgive a lot.

And that's fair enough, it's certainly not a place I'd want to live on a low peso salary.

So if they came to live here even 2 years ago, even last year, they can no longer live as they anticipated they would. Standing on line for 45 minutes everywhere you go can no longer be assuaged by a big steak and good Malbac for $15.

And I wonder if many don't understand the true expenses of living in their home countries today. If you left the US in 2009 you might not understand that getting the same level of job you had and the same salary will be tough for most. Salaries have gone down while rental prices have gone up because so many can no longer buy homes.

So my guess is Baires and AR in general remains attractive to those expats living on good foreign salaries, those that have bought or started successful businesses and in general those that can live well in a place that's still considerably cheaper than a major city in the US or Europe for the professional expat.

People who have been in BA atleast 2 years and want to come back probally have a tough time getting a job almost everywhere, Austalia is probally one of the only first world countries with a booming economy and I am guessing that if there is a double dip recession things on the job front will get worse.

mcaffa said:
I'm leaving Argentina next year. Just waiting for my husband's US permanent residency papers to be processed. Can't wait to get out. It's been a dreadful 7 years.

Sad if you waste your life with living 7 years in a place you hate.

Back