How many of you want to leave Bs As?

steveinbsas said:
Actually I am happy to see comments like yours.

Ethical relativism is exactly what is wrong with Argentina.

If that isn't correct please tell me what is.

Have to say, I think this is a problem everywhere, not just in Argentina.

steveinbsas said:
Ethical relativism is exactly what is wrong with Argentina.
No more/no less than any other place in the world. Indeed, in many, many aspects in the "western" countries far more than less developed nations in many respects.

However what still stands is that my initial comment had absolutely nothing to do with ethical relativism. Or have you still missed that point?
(though I'm past explaining any further)

I agree with Withers....but the problem with that is every couple of years, your expat friends leave. I'm in the states about to return to BA tonight. The only thing I don't like about Buenos Aires is that I'm forced to live there because of international child custody issues. A word to the wise, if you're thinking of having your child in Argentina, be aware that if that relationship doesn't work out, you may find yourself stuck here.

withersdavis said:
Personally, I am really happy here and have no plans on leaving. One thing I have found to be really important to enjoying life here is having a lot of expat friends.

I've found it much easier to have deep, rich friendships with fellow expats than with Argentines. While this has definitely slowed my spanish language learning, it has I think helped a lot with general quality of life.

When you complain you are a victim of the circumstances. Chances are you have chosen your circumstances. The things that push your buttons are your best opportunities to question the meaning you assign to things. It's your meaning that upsets you, not the thing. And guess who made up the meaning: You did.

TexanPaul said:
When you complain you are a victim of the circumstances. Chances are you have chosen your circumstances. The things that push your buttons are your best opportunities to question the meaning you assign to things. It's your meaning that upsets you, not the thing. And guess who made up the meaning: You did.

And you mean to say that when I step in dog poop, I am not upset about stepping in it, but rather, I am upset about the meaning I have chosen for myself?

va2ba said:
And you mean to say that when I step in dog poop, I am not upset about stepping in it, but rather, I am upset about the meaning I have chosen for myself?

It means you are upset because it means that you have an unpleasant task ahead which means cleaning the smelly dog poop off your shoe which means smelling the dog poop up close and getting it on whatever brush you have to use and that means having to clean the brush, and so on and so on...perhaps ad infinitum.

Just be happy about all the extra meaning this experience can bring to your life.:p

If you continue to think like this you will soon see everything in Bs. As. in a different way and you may never want to leave.

steveinbsas said:
It means you are upset because it means that you have an unpleasant task ahead which means cleaning the smelly dog poop off your shoe which means smelling the dog poop up close and getting it on whatever brush you have to use and that means having to clean the brush, and so on and so on...ad infinitum.

Just be happy about all the extra meaning this experience can bring to your life.:p

That does make a little more sense, except for the happiness about scrapping dog poop off.

You kind of just have to go along with everything here and enjoy the ride.

Well I've been in London for two weeks now and can't wait to get back to BA. Quite frankly from a Brit point of view, I don't know what you guys are complaining about. I'm not going to dwell on the gang culture and riots that closed London down for my first week. However below are a few points about what makes BA great in my opinion, and may well be applicable comparisons to other first world cities.

BA is open - try getting a meal after 10.30 or a drink after 11.00 in London, everything is closed or closing.

An equivalent trip by public transport in London is around 20 times the price.

Unless you have got a lot of money there is not much to do in London. BA has a multitude of very high quality free, or incredibly cheap, events every night of the week.

In BA you never have to go to the supermarket. Your butcher is 4 blocks away, your bolivian greengrocer is 1 or 2, and your chino has all the other basics including a great wine selection and is as cheap as chips.

If you cook, the ingredients are wonderful and fresh as the packaging, transportation and storage system is not so sophisticated - things are either ripe and fresh or dead. Compare that with UK supermarket produce.

The weather is marvellous.

People don't talk about money all the fucking time!

People don"t talk about the value of their cars or houses all the fucking time!!!

You are not considered "unclean" if you smoke.

People have time for lunch and then everything is open later.

Rock music is considered of national importance and 3 generations of the same family will turn up to see the same band.

People don't assume you are gay if you want to see a ballet or opera.

THE PORTENOS ARE VERY FRIENDLY - This is the one you all seem to have a lot of difficulty with and the thing I don't understand. I rarely meet someone who is rude, generally receive great service, and don't recognise your depiction of BA (and I have spent a month or two here for the last 15 years and lived here for two now). My only explanation is that maybe they don't like yanquis, though given we had the last war against them there is no logical reason why they should like Brits more.

Where else would your taxi driver run round to buy you a car thus putting himself out of a job - certainly not in the UK

Where else can you afford to send your taxi driver to go off to do your tramites!!!

I know a lot of long term expats ( though not yanquis) who love it here and would sooner cut off their arms than leave.

I could bang on for ages about BA being the most culturally accessible capital of the world at the moment with the greatest quality of life, but will probably just get replies about lack of peanut butter and dog shit on the streets.

dog shit means there are lots of dogs - I like dogs, though I would prefer more horse shit.

Anyway, I write this for the purpose of balance. I would personally be more than happy to spend the rest of my life in BA.

Just need to work out how to make some money......

Miles Lewis said:
...dog shit means there are lots of dogs - I like dogs, though I would prefer more horse shit....

I just walked back into the house after going out with the dogs. One of them ran into the high grass...where I stepped in horse shit (fortunately old and dry) going after her.

I have no plans to leave Provincia Bs. As. (where life is full of meaning).:)

steveinbsas said:
It's always nice to find someone with a positive attitude (you), but you sound like someone who doesn't live in Bs.As. and perhaps never has.

There have been several threads about what is good in Bs. As. and they include many positive posts. Nonetheless, it is clear that after about a year (mas o menos) many expats who moved to BA with high hopes and great expectations become disillusioned and only want to leave.

I think this thread is posing a question to those who are still here but know they want to go. Based on some of the replies so far it looks like the main reason those who would like to go but are still here is love for another individual, but not the city.

I'm a bit surprised that (so far) none of the "locals" who haunt this site haven't jumped in here spewing their hatred for foreigners, telling us to leave the "most beautiful" country in the world if we don't like it.

I do think Argentina is a beautiful country and I am staying here by choice, but I am significantly happier living in the Provincia Bs. As. than I ever was during the four years I lived in the ciudad Bs. As.

Hi Steve,

I'm curious about why you're happier living in the Provincia, if you don't mind explicating a little.

Saludos,
Tom

Back