How many of you want to leave Bs As?

So ny of the numbers are suspect. Private school in SD for $700/mo. Huh? Private schools in CA are running over over $30K/yr now. And good apartments in BA are not cheap. You can get 400 Sq. ft. In a student type apartment for low rent, but those who want better will pay quite a bit,as good rentals are rare in BA.

There is no doubt that BA is crazy, unbelievably expensive when local wages are considered.

GS_Dirtboy said:
Rent (in a nicer part of town): I don't pay rent so someone help me out here.

- Must be somewhere between 2500/3000, eventhough GS probally sticks to his guns and says Belvanera [sic] is a nice area and a 2 br appartment can be head for 1800 peso, which is offcourse not true

I don't live in Balvarena. I live in a gated complex in Colegiales, 5 blocks from Santa Fe and 3 blocks from Palermo Hollywood, and I know what I pay in rent for our apartment.

We can go back and forth all day on who has the "correct" numbers and what they mean but I think the key point is knowing how to construct the equation correctly so expats can get an objective comparison of their individual financial situation in each country - as close to a Salary Parity Index and Consumer Price Index as possible. For us, BsAs is cheaper. I'll leave it at that.

You came up with the Belvanera example and there is just no way in hell Belvanera is anything close to any decent area in the US. PM, a small part of Recoleta, part of Palermo Soho and barrio Parque, then your talking. The rest is just subpar by American standards.

Are you gonna recognize your numbers are off or are you still convinced they are right?

jb5 said:
So ny of the numbers are suspect. Private school in SD for $700/mo. Huh? Private schools in CA are running over over $30K/yr now. And good apartments in BA are not cheap. You can get 400 Sq. ft. In a student type apartment for low rent, but those who want better will pay quite a bit,as good rentals are rare in BA.

There is no doubt that BA is crazy, unbelievably expensive when local wages are considered.

Do you really need a private school in SD? In Northern Europe you sure dont need it

El chabon said:
Do you really need a private school in SD? In Northern Europe you sure dont need it

Nor in the State, for the most part. Obviously there are some poor public schools in the States.

Having had three kids in schools in the States, and a youngster here who is my sister-in-law, I can affirm that the best I have seen of private schools here doesn't match up to the middle-range public schools my kids attended in the States.

I have bee here over 4 years and have loved it everyday since I arrived, even with the crap service, rising cost and useless workers all I know is i wake up every day happy. The sun is always shining, people always have time to hang out and you dont constantly consume cause there is nothing worth buying. Maybe its just a Latin thing but different things matter here than they do back home, here no one cares what job u have or how much money u make they just care about spending time with friends and family taking life slow and easy.

beetree said:
I have bee here over 4 years and have loved it everyday since I arrived, even with the crap service, rising cost and useless workers all I know is i wake up every day happy. The sun is always shining, people always have time to hang out and you dont constantly consume cause there is nothing worth buying. Maybe its just a Latin thing but different things matter here than they do back home, here no one cares what job u have or how much money u make they just care about spending time with friends and family taking life slow and easy.

Good for you. I wake up happy everyday, too, but then I don't live in a bee tree and I have't lived in the city of Buenos Aires for almost two years (I'm in the Provincia Buenos Aires). ;)

It's one thing to wake up happy, but it's another thing to be happy about "the crap service, rising cost and useless workers...and nothing worth buying." :rolleyes:

It isn't a "Latin thing" with me. At my age I'm just happy to wake up everyday...whether the sun is shining or not. :)

And I don't rely on the crap service, rising cost(s) and useless workers (since I do almost everything myself...including home maintainence and cooking vegetables harvested from my own garden). :D

El chabon said:
You came up with the Belvanera example and there is just no way in hell Belvanera is anything close to any decent area in the US. PM, a small part of Recoleta, part of Palermo Soho and barrio Parque, then your talking. The rest is just subpar by American standards.

Are you gonna recognize your numbers are off or are you still convinced they are right?

Where did you get that I came up with Balvarena? Again, I don't live in Balvarena. I live in Colegiales. I never gave Balvarena as an example of a decent place to live.

MY numbers are right because they are MY numbers. I know what I pay. Or, are you still gonna argue that you know better what I pay than I do? YOUR numbers are probably very different. Congratulations.

I sent my kids to private school's in CA without believing I had a choice. We did save money during the study aboard term here, which cost a fraction of what a term at an ivy league college costs.

GS like others have said your numbers are out. My girlfriend works in a high end / expensive fashion store that pays okay for here and she pulls in a touch under 4500. Managers wouldnt even make 7000 and usually they have many years experience (or they have a friend that hands them a job).

Understand your numbers are your numbers, but to say you could lead an equally high quality of life here in an equal profession I dont think is quite right. For example, I am in basically the equivalent position to back home. If you exclude additional transfer allowances that I receive(d) and say compared the salary to my colleagues in equivalent positions and mine without the allowances, its thereabouts 40% (in the hand) of the equivalent at todays FX rate. These days, there is no way BA is 2.5 times cheaper.

Particularly, if you wanted to include travel outside of South America on a peso salary.

jb5 said:
I sent my kids to private school's in CA without believing I had a choice. We did save money during the study aboard term here, which cost a fraction of what a term at an ivy league college costs.

The second to the greatest revelation I had in my life was that I did not to have to have children. :p

The greatest was that I didn't have to believe in gods. :rolleyes:

It cost my parents (who always bitched about the depression) $5000 (five thousand dollars) to pay for my colledge education (including tuition, room board and and a monthly allowance in the early 70's.)

When I was a college sophomore I started my own business and bought my first Porsche (a 356C Cab).

I seriously doubt that is anywhere nearly as possible in the USA today...and far less likely in BA.

Even today, semi rural property where I live sells for a fraction of similar properties in the US.

Back