how many pieces of luggage are OK to bring as a tourist?

I just arrived as a "tourist" with four suitcases - three large ones and one carry on -, two laptops, two cameras, loads of other stuff too. Strolled through customs, gave them a nice smile and one of the guys even helped me get my "I am obviously moving to Argentina" luggage on the scanner! They don't care about the amount of stuff you have as long as you don't look like you're planning on selling stuff here. Don't worry!

jb -thank you SO much for mentioning that.

I just called AA and I was told that it is in the "fine print" that I need to provide proof of onward travel for them to let me through. The agent thought they wouldn't check that until I go through customs in Argentina, but who knows. I guess I will follow captdave's advice and buy a refundable ticket to somewhere outside of AR so I have proof of it.

Any more stories & tips about travler+luggage making it through or not?

2 suitcases and a carryon is no problem.
Most likely, you will not be asked about anything.
They will make you put your suitcases on the conveyor belt thru the x ray machine, and then, maybe even open one and desultorily paw thru it, but unless you have duplicates of obviously brand new electronics, chances are they wont even bother with a question.

I have carried in 2 suitcases each for both kids, me and my wife, 8 total, plus some carryons. No questions. I have brought six foot long 1 foot diameter cardboard tubes with rolled up paintings in em, knocked down furniture, stereos with speakers, footstools, 4 sets of sheets, 2 shower curtains, and a half dozen towels, a complete knocked down oval shower curtain bar that is 7 feet by 2 feet when assembled, wireless routers, kitchen knives and utensils, a complete set of pots and pans, lots of hand tools, books, CD's, a mixmaster, 6 pounds of coffee, and all kinds of other really wacky stuff, and never a question.

(I often build furniture in pieces up here, and take it down in my luggage, to be assembled and added to in BA, as I have a complete fabrication and machine shop up north, and a small apartment in Argentina.)

2 suitcases and a carry on...no issues...the other thing I always do is "hang" my U.S. passport over the top of the suitcases as I am heading towards the exit, so it is very visable...they usually just flag you through...last time I had to put them on the belt to be scanned...3 of them were so busy chatting they never even looked at the luggage going through!!

**check on the weight allowed per bag...it is either 50 or 70 pouinds each bag with American Airlines...this is for "international flights only".... even if you have a flight that connects with your international leg you are allowed the extra weight....I did this and didn't have to pay the extra weight....just get the facts correct prior to flying and weigh your bags before you fly....and tell them at the ticket counter if they try and charge you..they looked it up while I waited.

hepdoll said:
jb -thank you SO much for mentioning that.

I just called AA and I was told that it is in the "fine print" that I need to provide proof of onward travel for them to let me through. The agent thought they wouldn't check that until I go through customs in Argentina, but who knows. I guess I will follow captdave's advice and buy a refundable ticket to somewhere outside of AR so I have proof of it.

Any more stories & tips about travler+luggage making it through or not?

I can tell you from personal experience that they WILL check it when you depart, but will never even mention it here. Like I said, it is an airline reg., not a government or immigration issue!

You can buy the one-way ticket at the airport (which I did the first time), but the time involved can screw you trying to board your BA flight.
Montevideo or Santiago de Chile are the cheapest one way destinations from BA.
Trust me, buy the ticket!

David

If you can fly on Mexicana, I don't think you'll have any problem boarding with a one way ticket.

hepdoll said:
</p>
It doesn't have to be a plane ticket; a bus or a boat ticket will do. A one-way fare to Uruguay from http://www.buquebus.com/ or to Paraguay with http://www.crucerodelnorte.com.ar would cost you so so little in comparison to the air fare that it might not even be worth your while looking for a refund (how much do the airlines deduct before refunding the payment anyway?)

We arrived with LOTS of luggage, and with a lot of "suspicious" items in it. They were scanned but we had no comment...
Only once (a long time ago) we had to open our suitcase : there was a bag full of chargers in our suitcase, they thought it were jewels...

We never had to show our return ticket. They never even asked of we had one.

I have entered Argentina numerous times by plane with just one-way tickets from United, American Airlines, LAN, and GOL Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes.

Several of my friends have as well. I would not worry about it.

Back