how many pieces of luggage are OK to bring as a tourist?

Thanks again, everyone! So helpful to hear about your experiences and get your advice. I've decided to live large and bring 2 suitcases and a backpack. :) I will buy a cheap or refundable exit ticket to have with me, too.

captdave -- thanks for the specific advice on the destination for my exit flight! If you have advice on which airlines give the easiest refunds, I'd love to know.

Hey man.....I wouldn't waste your money on a return or refundable flight.....most travel agents can reserve flights without payment for 72 hours.....so for peace of mind just get an itinerary printed the day before you leave.....as long as you are not sweating with worry upon arrival then no worries!!

Lee said:
We moved with 6 HUGE suitcases and a dog and the only thing they checked was the dogs paperwork...they just waived the luggage through without even checking...so my advice is to move with a dog!

I've found the same thing, Lee. If you arrive with a dog, you're shuffled off to the SENASA line on the right, and the Aduana guys don't even get involved. I once arrived with 6 or so very large bags plus carry-ons plus the dog kennel, and only the dog's papers were inspected.

Back