How Many South American Countries Have You Visited?

How Many South American Countries (other than Argentina) have you visited?

• Zero!

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Just 1

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 2-3

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • 4-5

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • 6+!

Votes: 36 36.0%

• Total voters
Fair enough. But I think Guayana is still part of the commonwealth. And I don't understand the Brazil comment, you think because they have so many states they should be classified as different countries ? Should the US also be classified as different countries ?

Matt84 said:
Only one is a colony, and it's the open North Atlantic, not the Caribbean.

It's unfair that Brazil should be counted as only one country with so many regions!

Guyana may be part of the Commonwealth as is Australia, Fidji and India, but it's independent (and more influenced by the US than the UK)

No, I don't mean to change the rules of the thread, I just mean that Brazil accounts for roughly half of South America, Bahia and Santa Catarina are worlds apart, as are Rio and Manaus.

Okay. I'm a little ignorant on how the whole commonwealth thing works. btw where do the Malvinas fall in all of this ? :)

Matt84 said:
Guyana may be part of the Commonwealth as is Australia, Fidji and India, but it's independent (and more influenced by the US than the UK)

No, I don't mean to change the rules of the thread, I just mean that Brazil accounts for roughly half of South America, Bahia and Santa Catarina are worlds apart, as are Rio and Manaus.

The Commonwealth of Nations consists of British Colonies that gradually became fully independent nation states. They are tied to Britain only in that they share symbolic allegiance to the Monarchy, and cricket.

Australia and indeed Guyana and Belize are examples of countries more influenced by the US than by the UK that are still part of the Commonwealth.

The Falklands are a settlement much like Ascension or Saint Helena are. They evolved into British territories from Naval Outposts, they are part of the UK.

Venezuela
Colombia
Ecuador
Peru
Chile
Brazil
Paraguay
Bolvia

Eight besides Argentina

I've travelled to Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.

I would really like to plan a trip through Venezuela, Columbia and Paraguay. If anyone has recommendations for must see places/attractions that are off the beaten path of the average gringo tourists, please let me know!

It's not a territory it's an overseas department part of France and the EU, like the Acores are part of Portugal.

That's exactly it - French Guiana is not a territory nor a colony, but like Matt here says, an overseas department of France and a part of the EU: they have the Euro, and the laws and even the school syllabuses are the same as in Paris or any other region in "metropolitan" France. It's exactly the same as Hawaii to the US, it's just another state. I have been there twice.

Back