How many times can you "cross the line"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayMorg

Registered
I am sure this topic has been exhausted in previous posts, so I apologize.

What is re-entering the country like when you are trying to extend your tourist visa?

I am only eligible for the tourist visa- which is 3 months permitted stay- but I am hoping to spend upwards to a year (or hopefully a little longer). I can't imagine being able to re-enter 4 or 5 times.

I am a US citizen, if this is relevant to my experience.

Are migraciones lenient as far as this issue, or are they strict these days?

Or am I just taking my chances and hoping for luck every time?

Gracias,

RayMorg

Stir a hornets nest Ray :)

At the risk of abuse and mis-information from all sides, I can only relate my own experiences... I am only eligible for the tourist visa as my stay will be less than three years, and the advice given to me by the Argentine embassy in my own country, and migraciones here, was to simply ensure I renewed my 90 day visa in a timely manner.

So far, I have 7 entry stamps into Argentina in the last 18 months, the last a week ago, and I have had no problems.... I stress, this is my own situation, not anecdotal, simply what is happening to me. I am sure others will tell a different story and confuse you totally - Enjoy!

The laws have changed (Dec. '09) and are continuing to change, Ray. If you are only planning to stay for a year, just cross when you want to take a trip (ie go to Chile, Uruguay, etc.) and pay the fine (AR$300). Chances are if you just take few trips in that time you SHOULD be fine to re-enter. A lot depends on your luck of the draw and the border agent you get. You have better chances of not getting hassled with fewer entry stamps in your passport, and as far as anybody can tell there are no *real* penalties to overstaying your visa (besides the fine, which costs at least as much as a trip to Uruguay) unless you want to be legit and open a business here. Read the thread about changes for the "permatourist" for all the most recent dirt. Worst case scenario for you (as far as I can tell) is that when/if on the fateful day when you get flagged as a "tourista falsa" (the dreaded 30 day stamp) you just stay in Argentina for as long as you need/want to be here, and the next time you leave either leave for good or a minimum of six months. Good luck.

I hadn't learned of the "tourista falsa". So, does that mean if my flight home is from Buenos Aires that they'd still let me back in.. I'd just have 30 days to get out?

What are potential consequences of not following the re-entry process? Would that possibly affect me visiting in the future?

Also... not relating to visas... but relevant to me :).. Can you clarify the exchange of AR$300... how does that translate to U$D or the Euro.

Disregard my second question, MizzMarr, I saw that you answered it in the initial post. Thanks!!

Being in Argentina for more than a year is no longer tourism. It is temporary residency.

You should read this thread, it will answer most of your questions

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/10781-changes-permatourists.html

From the few stories i've heard, if you get flagged as a " tourista falsa " at the border, you will not be allowed entry. Calling migraciones and asking about their specific policy might give the best answer.

This should help you with the exchange rate

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Argentine+peso+dollar+exchange+rate

AlexfromLA said:
From the few stories i've heard, if you get flagged as a " tourista falsa " at the border, you will not be allowed entry. Calling migraciones and asking about their specific policy might give the best answer.
Actually, if you're flagged as a tourista falsa, they give you 30 days to get your residency in order, or get out. If you overstay it's not any different than normal "overstays" in terms of paying the fine, but you won't be let in again for six months (this could very well mean being turned away at the border, or if you're at the airport obligatory purchase of the next ticket back to your home country--I've never known anybody this has happened to). The first time, when you get flagged, you get 30 instead of 90 days. This happened to me.

AlexfromLA said:
Calling migraciones and asking about their specific policy might give the best answer.
I would be willing to bet that if you call five times you get five different answers, and maybe none would coincide with your actual experience. Nobody (including my lawyer, gestor, etc.) really knows what's happening or will happen.

For your other questions, please read the thread that Alex referenced as there is a ton of relevant information there.

AlexfromLA said:
Being in Argentina for more than a year is no longer tourism. It is temporary residency.

Actually, being in Argentina more than 180 days without leaving the country requires a temporary resident visa. A tourist visa is good for 90 days and may be renewed once at the office of migraciones. However, it has been possible to leave the country and reenter (even) the same day and thereby receive a "new" tourist visa. Migraciones will not extend that visa for an additional 90 days if it expires within a year of your initial entry.

MizzMarr said:
Actually, if you're flagged as a tourista falsa, they give you 30 days to get your residency in order, or get out. If you overstay it's not any different than normal "overstays" in terms of paying the fine, but you won't be let in again for six months (this could very well mean being turned away at the border, or if you're at the airport obligatory purchase of the next ticket back to your home country--I've never known anybody this has happened to). The first time, when you get flagged, you get 30 instead of 90 days. This happened to me.

Thus far, this hasn't happened to very many individuals, perhaps only a few. Given the recent policy changes regarding the "tourist" visa, it could happen much more often in the future. MizzMarr didn't say how many times she had "crossed the line" so it isn't clear from her post how serious migraciones is about putting an end to perma-tourism.

RayMorg said:
I am sure this topic has been exhausted in previous posts, so I apologize.

What is re-entering the country like when you are trying to extend your tourist visa?

I am only eligible for the tourist visa- which is 3 months permitted stay- but I am hoping to spend upwards to a year (or hopefully a little longer). I can't imagine being able to re-enter 4 or 5 times.

I am a US citizen, if this is relevant to my experience.

Are migraciones lenient as far as this issue, or are they strict these days?

Or am I just taking my chances and hoping for luck every time?

Gracias,

RayMorg

No, don't be afraid. There has been a recent legislative reorganization.
If it is true that now it clearly appears in the new law that officials from migraciones may interpret an overstaying on a tourist visa as a misconduct in regard of what is claimed (turism), but it has not been enforced yet according to first-hand testimonies here on baexpats (I hope I'm not forgetting one recent example, the board will correct me if necessary), like in the past.
But there have been quite a few hearsays that it has happened.
But maybe those hearsays are just normal statistical anomalies, seems normal but it's unverified.

And there is a two step level in response, more or less : either they can deny you the entry (but if you come back from Uruguay and all your stuff is in Argentina ?), or ask you to justify within 30 days of your situation.

Too some hearsays maybe more credible depending from whom relay them.

Last, as Steve said, it could eventually be enforced in the future.

Thanks all!

Also, on the note of exchange...

It told me AR$1 = U$S 0.25

so something that costs AR$100 is U$D25?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back