How many times can you "cross the line"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RayMorg said:
Thanks all!

Also, on the note of exchange...

It told me AR$1 = U$S 0.25

so something that costs AR$100 is U$D25?

for as far as mathematics go, 4 to 1 yes

RayMorg said:
Thanks all!

Also, on the note of exchange...

It told me AR$1 = U$S 0.25

so something that costs AR$100 is U$D25?

That's about it, though here it's commonly expressed in a peso to dollar ratio: AR$3.92 = U$D1

There was another story in this forum referenced by someone stating they were not allowed back into Argentina when they were coming back from Uruguay. I think the particular quote from the border agent was " no more tourist visas ".

MizzMarr said:
Actually, if you're flagged as a tourista falsa, they give you 30 days to get your residency in order, or get out. If you overstay it's not any different than normal "overstays" in terms of paying the fine, but you won't be let in again for six months (this could very well mean being turned away at the border, or if you're at the airport obligatory purchase of the next ticket back to your home country--I've never known anybody this has happened to). The first time, when you get flagged, you get 30 instead of 90 days. This happened to me.

That is a personal opinion that I do not share. I believe asking a government agency about their own policies is the best bet. If possible, also ask to get their policy in print, either in an email or a print out.

I agree that since the new laws have been signed but haven't been fully implemented it is still up in the air as to how they will be implemented.

MizzMarr said:
I would be willing to bet that if you call five times you get five different answers, and maybe none would coincide with your actual experience. Nobody (including my lawyer, gesto, etc.) really knows what's happening or will happen.

steveinbsas said:
MizzMarr didn't say how many times she had "crossed the line" so it isn't clear from her post how serious migraciones is about putting an end to perma-tourism.

I posted my experience in detail in the "permatourist" thread, but the nutshell is that I faithfully crossed every 90 days for almost 4 years. This would amount to roughly 15 entry stamps. I know of a co-worker of a friend (from S. Africa) who was given 30 days on her third entry. Not sure if there was just racism at play there, regulation, or plain ol' fútbol related bias.

AlexfromLA said:
There was another story in this forum referenced by someone stating they were not allowed back into Argentina when they were coming back from Uruguay.
True. I remember asking for more details on that one, and never getting any. Still, I don't know anybody personally who was turned away at the border.

I was referencing the TS's stated amount of time they plan on staying in Argentina.

RayMorg said:
I am hoping to spend upwards to a year (or hopefully a little longer).

steveinbsas said:
Actually, being in Argentina more than 180 days without leaving the country requires a temporary resident visa.

Tourist visa = 90 days plus one extension or reentry. Anything over that is temporary residency. That is the law.

I remember bajo cero saying that the law would be implemented within 90 days of it's signing. Does anyone know exactly when that will be ? October ?

AlexfromLA said:
Tourist visa = 90 days plus one extension or reentry. Anything over that is temporary residency. That is the law.

Juridically and linguistically false.
Law does not prohibit doing a cycle of 90+90, then exit one day, and come back for another 90+90. Law gives the power to DNM officials to determine a stay is not what it is claimed to be, they could even annoy someone past 10 days here. It's a clausula a la Janus.
Linguistically (and juridically), anything over 90+90 is not temporary residency, it's rather entering some kind of loophole which is not enforced against foreigners from the supposed-to-be first world, maybe yet.

AlexfromLA said:
I remember bajo cero saying that the law would be implemented within 90 days of it's signing. Does anyone know exactly when that will be ? October ?

El decreto, not the law was implemented on july 7th.

French jurist said:
Juridically and linguistically false.
Law does not prohibit doing a cycle of 90+90, then exit one day, and come back for another 90+90.
/QUOTE]

I don't think migraciones will give a second 90 day extension in a 12 month period. I know Ashley was denied the extension. Perhaps there have been others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back