How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

hotfuzz

Registered
Curious on the normal rate for tipping for cafes and restaurants here.

I'm from a non tipping country so I'm not used to it but I do around 10% here. Is that the norm?

Some of my Argentine gf family say I tip too much but my gf says they're just stingy with tipping.

I do 10%, I know in theory Argentina isn't a tipping country, but considering how shitty people are paid, especially in the service industry I say it's part of the cost of eating out. (My husband thinks I tip too much and he's from here, but I remind him not everyone is as fortunate as we are)

Minimum 10% unless the service has been extraordinarily bad. Then more, maybe much more if someone has really gone out of their way to please/help. Unless I am absolutely certain that a tip included in a card payment will be passed to or at least shared with the person who deserves it, I tip in cash when paying by card

10-20%
The big key to getting decent service here is being recognized as a regular customer.

When I was new in-country a local explained to me that it's the opposite of the USA. In America, we think, you give me good service first, and then I'll give you a nice tip. But she said if you are new in a neighborhood, and you plan on patronizing a restaurant regularly, you may have to leave a good tip the first few times, in spite of having gotten crappy service. Then, when they get to know you and that you will tip well, then you will get good service. It seems backward, but in my experience it does work.

Another thing that works against us is that going out to eat alone is less common here. So if you do come in alone, you are regarded with suspicion, like, "well, nobody sane would go out to eat alone if they had a friend, so this person doesn't have any friends, so they must be a complete asshole..."

I do 10%, I know in theory Argentina isn't a tipping country, but considering how shitty people are paid, especially in the service industry I say it's part of the cost of eating out. (My husband thinks I tip too much and he's from here, but I remind him not everyone is as fortunate as we are)

I thought it was a tipping country with restaurants and cafes?

Thanks for the responses. I feel 10% is a good amount and maybe a bit more if the service was amazing. I really hate tipping culture and everything it stands for. I'd rather people get paid a livable wage then make me play a guessing game of how much I should be paying for someone elses salary. But I get it, people in the service industry here earn terrible wages, and as a foreigner it's not that much skin off my back to give them something if they gave good service.

I've worked before as a waitress, a café barista, and a few other positions that rely primarily on tips. Let me tell you all, I can assert that these jobs are difficult physically (and sometimes mentally). Hence, I would say I am a consistently generous tipper, whether here or back in the US - one of the primary reasons being that a few pesitos extra for the patron may be an afterthought, but for someone working in that position, it adds up and it *does* make a difference!

I'm not wealthy by any means, but I acknowledge that if I am fortunate enough to receive delivery, eat in a restaurant, get my hair cut, and so on, then I can afford to budget a bit more to thank the worker for a job well done.

10 for the basic minimum and for most situations. If you find someone that actually gives decent customer service the tip goes much higher.

Its atypical to have good service and so when you do it's obvious and very easy to give more money.

Back