How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

Do you really think the servers don't know the difference between expats and locals?

Tiluchi very true . However there are several Socio-Economic groups of Retired/Expats living in Argentina, namely.

1. Expats that have lived here for a long long time on a limited budget, and live like locals.
  2. Expats that commute and spend part of the year in the US. Always aware of US prices, Middle America.
  3. Expats that own property here and come from major US Urban Centers with high dollar ticket.
  4. Expats from Manhattan that may have once walked past, Le Bernardine or entered once to dine at $200 per person..!
Feel free to add comments.
(1.) There are many wealthy locals here.

(2.) I tip generously and am well taken care of, and don't fit into any of your categories.

(3.) $200 at Le Bernadine? Have you ever been there?

(2.) I tip generously and am well taken care of, and don't fit into any of your categories.

Never heard of Leo Bernadine.

(1.) There are many wealthy locals
Many many multimillionaires in Argentina, land owners, -industrialists, etc
Not surprising
Years ago when I lived in Manhattan, I dined once at the Le Bernardin on 51st. Street . The $200 tab was suggested by Tiluchi, have no clue of current rates. Too low?

Do you really think the servers don't know the difference between expats and locals?
They know the difference between Argentines and tourists. Not sure they necessarily know who is an expat. What's your point? If a foreigner (usually US citizen) gives a big tip doesn't that make staff disappointed when they get much less from Argentines?

#1 - true but they don't necessarily tip much.
#3 - yes, more expensive

Back