How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

I tip generously - I visit Argentina on holiday, sometimes on an extended basis (my wife is Argentinean). I'd tend to leave around 20% depending on the service, how much effort they put into understanding my rubbish Spanish and the overall price of the meal.

I got told off by my sister in law because the taxi came to 2,200 pesos, I gave him 3,000. My logic was that the overall cost of the taxi was very cheap (compared to what I'm used to), bloke seemed nice, 800 pesos might mean something to him but very little to me.

Thanks! I hadn't read this until now but, at lunch today in MVD I paid the bill by card and tipped the waitress 10% and everyone was happy. Especially me because (top tip coming up....) if you pay with a foreign bank card IVA should be deducted automatically and the deduction shown on the card receipt.
The IVA deduction from the foreign cards applies to hotel and temporary rental charges, as well as restaurants/ bars/ coffee shops, at least during the high season.

I remember many of my fellow Americans who fit that picture from years ago. So embarrassing as you say. I remember one guy who was furious a restaurant didn't have Heinz ketchup, so he left the table and bought Heinz down the street and returned.

Not a few of those ugly Americans are now dead.
Quite an aside, but I’ve yet to encounter any ketchup here that isn’t in tiny plastic sachets which feels wasteful for the amount of ketchup I desire with my chips. Does anywhere sell ketchup by the bottle?

I tip generously - I visit Argentina on holiday, sometimes on an extended basis (my wife is Argentinean). I'd tend to leave around 20% depending on the service, how much effort they put into understanding my rubbish Spanish and the overall price of the meal.

I got told off by my sister in law because the taxi came to 2,200 pesos, I gave him 3,000. My logic was that the overall cost of the taxi was very cheap (compared to what I'm used to), bloke seemed nice, 800 pesos might mean something to him but very little to me.
Good for you. I tip quite generously as well depending on service. If one can afford it why not bring a little joy and ease their load? These folks are just trying to get by and survive in a country where they earn little and are often exploited. I never have to wait any place that I frequent regularly and I am always greeted with a smile by name and a peck on the cheek. If I am forgetful and leave something behind, it gets returned to me. I don't associate with other Americans but I understand that they are generally more generous than the locals. Cheers.

Quite an aside, but I’ve yet to encounter any ketchup here that isn’t in tiny plastic sachets which feels wasteful for the amount of ketchup I desire with my chips. Does anywhere sell ketchup by the bottle?

You can find ketchup bottles in Carrefour (the big supermarket in Vicente López), I think other big supermarkets should have this as well or sometimes you find ketchup bottles in a dietetica.

Back