How much do you tip at cafes and restaurants?

Quite an aside, but I’ve yet to encounter any ketchup here that isn’t in tiny plastic sachets which feels wasteful for the amount of ketchup I desire with my chips. Does anywhere sell ketchup by the bottle?
Ketchup, Mustard and Mayo here usually come in a large plastic pouch with a hard plastic nozzle and a screw-on lid. La Parmesana brand does sell ketchup in a bottle. I found it at Carrefour Express, but their stocking is wildly inconsistent; every week is different.

Then again, to be fair, the whole chain of distribution is utterly f****d-up right now. The big bosses are playing games of withholding things from the market to protest against and possibly sabotage the "Precios Cuidados" program. And, of course, there's the usual "because Argentina" chaos.

Screenshot_2023-02-28-05-45-24-162.jpg

Imported from USA or Mexico ..available in Jumbo,Carefour etc.. from time to time...

Quite an aside, but I’ve yet to encounter any ketchup here that isn’t in tiny plastic sachets which feels wasteful for the amount of ketchup I desire with my chips. Does anywhere sell ketchup by the bottle?
You can get Kansas brand sauces and salad dressings including their American style ketchup at most supermarkets (Dia, Jumbo, Coto etc.) and even by Rappi’s own fast delivery service. About $500-$700ish.

Reviving an old thread. I tip around 20% always but I'm reconsidering. Only in Argentina can I get to a place where I regularly tip 20% and have all the staff ignore me.

What is it with restaurants with 5-6 workers and who make a conscious effort not to look at you/talk among them while you stand there waiting or even ask them a question?

Reviving an old thread. I tip around 20% always but I'm reconsidering. Only in Argentina can I get to a place where I regularly tip 20% and have all the staff ignore me.

What is it with restaurants with 5-6 workers and who make a conscious effort not to look at you/talk among them while you stand there waiting or even ask them a question?
Minimum wage is 68¢/hour in Argentina. As long as they don't spit in my food or slap me in the face I tip - it's a thankless job.

Stop tipping so much. 10% only if you are extremely happy but people leave less than that. This is not the USA.

Recycling what I wrote in post #5, I treat 10% as the baseline. Poor service=less; great service=more. Back to the "tip what the locals tip" theme, not all locals are the same. The locals I mix with wouldn't dream of leaving less than 10% unless the meal or service were truly abysmal.

Now I start at $100 peso tip, from there up. Since a coffee is 900 pesos. When a steak dinner for five amounts to $50,000 pesos. $5000 peso tip is OK? (five bucks).

Back