How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

Medicus has a 20 % discount promo for current expats corporate plan members. Call them today to get the details for the MC plan and sign up. There still is a 15% increase for April, so the net discount won’t be much.

The tough thing about hikes in private medical plans is the difficulty in changing plans for those over 70 years old. Only Hospital Italiano offered me coverage at age 69.

The tough thing about hikes in private medical plans is the difficulty in changing plans for those over 70 years old. Only Hospital Italiano offered me coverage at age 69.
Expats on this forum used to brag about how cheap health insurance was. That is changing.

The “dog” is going to stop when someone starts to poach customers with better rates. Very fluid and chaotic situation; it could take a while for “mr market” to step in here.
Mr. Market promised that wealth would inevitable trickle down, luxury housing construction would lower prices, and free market healthcare would result in competition.
Mr. Market is frequently led astray.

it could take a while for “mr market” to step in here.

Do you think that 'Mr. Market' will cool down, and even you agree to pay 15% more every month, there will come a point when they stop increasing premiums?

People are canceling their medical plans in droves. Now is the time to shop around and find a plan from a different company. With the current buyer's market, aim for a basic plan with co-payments that offers about 40% reduction in premiums compared to what you are currently paying. Negotiate to eliminate waiting periods and other restrictions, and ask for an additional 25% discount for the first 6 months.

Unless you are actively trying to renegotiate, the rules of 'Mr. Market' do not kick in.

How risky is it to just pay out of pocket given the lower costs versus the US?
Far too risky for me. Have you witnessed the health care provided by the hospitals run by the government? I have medical care from Hospital Italiano. Following a mugging in 2019, I was obligated to get X-rays at Hospital Penna. I was so happy that after a minor rough up, I could walk in, secure in the knowledge that I would walk out in less than 40 minutes. Patients clogged the corridors, and there were 12 filled beds in the room which I walked through to enter a bathroom I used. I was given express service, but will never forget the sobering sight inside Penna. Last year I met a woman who does therapy at Penna. She shared that drug dealers are even operating inside the hospital.
Consider worst case scenarios. Opt for medical insurance.

Far too risky for me. Have you witnessed the health care provided by the hospitals run by the government? I have medical care from Hospital Italiano. Following a mugging in 2019, I was obligated to get X-rays at Hospital Penna. I was so happy that after a minor rough up, I could walk in, secure in the knowledge that I would walk out in less than 40 minutes. Patients clogged the corridors, and there were 12 filled beds in the room which I walked through to enter a bathroom I used. I was given express service, but will never forget the sobering sight inside Penna. Last year I met a woman who does therapy at Penna. She shared that drug dealers are even operating inside the hospital.
Consider worst case scenarios. Opt for medical insurance.
Can you pay out of pocket for private hospitals?

Back