How much more are you paying for your health (prepaga) insurance?

If your choices are to spend the money to get the care or die then I think you're pretty screwed either way.
How could spending the money to get the "care" you need to (ostensibly) prevent death in any way be equated with death itself?

The only way I can imagine is that spend8ng the money for either health care or healrh care insurance left someone so poor they had no money left to buy food and starved to death.

As far as I'm concerned, spending money on food that heals the body and promotes good health is the best alternative, if one must choose, but the vast majority of people, especially expats in Argentina (including me until mid-2019), spend money on "food" that doesn't.

They are the ones that are in the greatest need of health care and they have "screwed" themselves with choices they make on a daily basis, regardless on the level or afordability of their "health care" coverage.

Last edited:
How could spending the money to get the "care" you need to (ostensibly) prevent death in any way be equated with death itself?

The only way I can imagine is that spend8ng the money for either health care or healrh care insurance left someone so poor they had no money left to buy food and starved to death.

As far as I'm concerned, spending money on food that heals the body and promotes good health is the best alternative, if one must choose, but the vast majority of people, especially expats in Argentina (including me until mid-2019), spend money on "food" that doesn't.

They are the ones that are in the greatest need of health care and they have "screwed" themselves with choices they make on a daily basis, regardless on the level or afordability of their "health care" coverage.
You're right about the food most people eat. I've seen the deterioration in the food people eat and how they eat it. The fast food revolution came to Argentina later than in the US but it is now deeply embedded in the culture. I was, though, surprised thirty or more years ago to see so much consumption of Coca-Cola in Argentina and the surprising number of people drinking it even in fine restaurants. Regarding health insurance: a good diet, getting exercise and generally healthy living habits will help to forestall disease and may extend one's life but there are things that occur that are beyond one's control. If you can afford at least a basic health insurance policy, it's better to have it.

The point is that if you don't have enough money to pay for your care then you're in serious trouble. So, I was wondering how much it cost to pay out of pocket and whether that's a viable option.

The point is that if you don't have enough money to pay for your care then you're in serious trouble. So, I was wondering how much it cost to pay out of pocket and whether that's a viable option.
Don't expect any price list available to the general public on expensive surgeries. In the US, maybe the hospitals know prices, and the insurers know prices; try getting that info out of them. Here in Argentina, I am not aware of public info on bypass surgeries, stent implants, invasive cancer surgeries. A compelling reason for me to maintain my medical care policy.

For what it's worth regarding costs... My daughter had a baby (C-section, no complications) last April with Swill Medical coverage. She paid $0 out-of-pocket. At that time, she was told that without insurance her cost would be $22,000 U.S.

Eating well does not convey health --- it minimizes what poor diet can add to the mix. It is only one aspect of a highly multi-faceted issue. Although diet is directly within our control, many important factors are not and these are the reason for having health insurance.

The point is that if you don't have enough money to pay for your care then you're in serious trouble. So, I was wondering how much it cost to pay out of pocket and whether that's a viable option

For what it's worth regarding costs... My daughter had a baby (C-section, no complications) last April with Swill Medical coverage. She paid $0 out-of-pocket. At that time, she was told that without insurance her cost would be $22,000 U.S.

Eating well does not convey health --- it minimizes what poor diet can add to the mix. It is only one aspect of a highly multi-faceted issue. Although diet is directly within our control, many important factors are not and these are the reason for having health insurance.
Swill? A plan for penurious sailors?

I think that's just an estimate from one side, the insurance company itself. They might as well have claimed it would cost 5 million dollars. I doubt anyone has actually ever paid $22,000 USD to the Swiss Medical for a C-section.

I think that's just an estimate from one side, the insurance company itself.
What other side is there to request the price from? The uninsured dollar cost was a legitimate question intentionally asked of the proper administrative staff,.

I too doubt anyone pays out-of-pocket in U.S. dollars for surgery, but the price I stated wasn't based idle speculation, guesswork, or head-scratching gestimates from someone hanging around the coffee machine. Questions have been asked here about potential out-of-pocket costs, which I've tried to provide.

Back