How Much To Charge For Private Tutoring?

Ingrid Eva

Registered
Hi all. I'd really appreciate some advice if anyone has any knowledge in this area.

I have been offered some casual part time work tutoring English to a 14 year old, who already speaks English but needs improvement with grammar and pronunciation etc. I am British but have no teaching experience. This is not a problem for the boy or his parents, but I don't know how much to charge them. I know someone who is doing a similar thing and she also has no experience and she is charging 70 pesos an hour. Does that sound about right??

I don't want to over change but I also don't want to sell myself short!!

Thanks

Ingrid

Hi Ingrid,
70 or 80 pesos an hour is the going rate! I charge up to 85 (depending on how much preparation I need to do in advance for the classes and the students level).

AR$70 to AR$80?

I just talked to a few people about this today.

(1st Person) AR$110, but bumping it to AR$120 in a month or two

(2nd Person) "Should charge about AR$100..."

(3rd Person) Probably AR$100 if they come to you and AR$150/hr if you go to them.*

*Though the 50% bump for travel was steep.

I'm thinking that AR$100 is "the going rate". I was charging AR$60/hr 18 to 20 months ago. (And I there was going to be a bump but I chose quite teaching for a while.) With 25% annual inflation, that's about $95 to AR$100

hey! i am TEFL certified and charge AR$110 for my business adult students but when tutoring kids i charge 90pesos, i think there is a difference if you are certified or not I would say 70-80

hey! i am TEFL certified and charge AR$110 for my business adult students but when tutoring kids i charge 90pesos, i think there is a difference if you are certified or not I would say 70-80

"Certified" here. And I think at least two, if not all three of the people I asked are as well.

PS- "Certified" does not equal "Certifiable". Thank you.

It makes a difference for the actual students, they want to pay more when you have more experience!
if not, it makes no difference to me!

Back