How much to live?

katti said:
This is a 3th world country. In every 1st world country you must have car seats until kids are 1,30 big.

Here they have other worries.

Well.. actually, there is a similar law here, only marked by age (I think 2 years). We had our daughter's car seat bought 4 months before she was born.
If other people disregard the law (or common sense) it's not my fault.
Don't believe in what local stupid people tells you, there are decent laws here, good judges and everything.
It's the rest of the people disregarding the community who create the problems.

GuilleGee said:
Because ABL is only a Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires tax, there are things that are similar in other cities, but it is not ABL. I am just giving you trouble for using a city term...

I live in San Isidro, outside Buenos Aires, and pay ABL. Wish I wouldn't have to, because the Municipio keeps ratcheting it up.

billsfan said:
It's the rest of the people disregarding the community who create the problems.

This is really the kernel.... Now, how do we change that? (discuss) (oh, I should probably start a new thread... Never mind, continue as you were)....

As for salaries, I would imagine you would make about 50-60% of what you make in Prague.

The guy doesn't own any property in Argentina. He doesn't know what he's talking about. He already admitted only posting in this thread to try to argue with me for some mundane reason. I'm guessing because he didn't have anything worthwhile to contribute.

SaraSara said:
I live in San Isidro, outside Buenos Aires, and pay ABL.

My guess is as more people move into the middle class, more demands will be made on the government to reign in abuses and excess. Better enforcement of current laws, updating outdated laws, less corruption etc.

It will take time and more immigration.

mini said:
This is really the kernel.... Now, how do we change that? (discuss).

AlexfromLA said:
So basically you really don't know how much it costs to school a child in Argentina.

Gotcha.

Oh grow up... I'm trying to give the OP some advice, not win some pissy little argument with you. Education isn't limited to the best 15 schools in argentina, and a comfortable life is just about possible without a gardener, nanny and maid.

OP has two baby boys, priority for him is going to be childcare, and happily there are lots of good, affordable options. Should he decide to settle permanently, there are good, affordable schools as well.

Wanted to add my tuppence worth. I agree with everyone who has mentioned that US$5000 is definitely the high end of the scale. If you come here, and are legally employed, then you will be able to open a bank account and get discounts on a number of things - I am with Santander and they offer 20% on food at Carrefour, 10% on nafta, 20-30% on clothes at many different retail outlets, 10-20% at Garbarino (they sell electronic and household goods) etc. Also, I definitely agree that by shopping around you can make some fairly substantial savings. Current inflation is a definite worry, and depending on who you believe, may be spiralling out of control. Also, the peso is unlikely to be seriously devalued unless the Kirchener's get kicked out of office next year. Finally, I would recommend buying a car. As I say, just my tuppence worth.

Alex, seriously, why the attitude always? I do not own property, but I do pay ABL to the AGIP on the apartment I rent. I agree with the previous poster, grow up.

I posted on here to say what I said in my first post.

GuilleGee said:
You will do fine here, as long as you control your expenses you can make it work on whatever your budget may be.

I have been here for 6 months, I was here for 4 months 2 years ago. I have never made more than 1,000 USD a month in this country, and I live a happy life on that 1,000.

GuilleGee said:
I have never made more than 1,000 USD a month in this country, and I live a happy life on that 1,000.

My daughter lives happily on less than that. She is single, has her own house, and no car - bicycles everywhere, and her vacations are the backpacking/camping type. The simple life suits her.

But the OP specified he wanted "a nice life". He has no home and two children - just bilingual school tuition would be about a thousand dollars a month.

Back