How much to survive 3 months?

Budget for 5k and you'll have a lot more fun.

You could get by on 3k, but you might find it tough going.

I usually tell people to budget 2K a month (1 BR apt will more likely be in the 800-1000 USD a month). That gives you room to spare but it's not ridiculous.

kevinM said:
also, some confusion about boca. Some books talk about it as being dangerous, others that it's a big tourist area. Do any of you live there?

OK to visit once (especially the museum Q. Martin). Don't even think about living there...or walking more than a block from the main tourist area.

Well, I do agree that you might be a little short.

But to answer the OP, first a question : why restricting your choices to Palermo
& Recoleta ? Maybe you should expand a bit your area of research.
To put it in one word : if you live in Recoleta, you are not spending wisely (your limited budget).
There are plenty of nice barrios nearby those.
You could even target San Telmo (if, as a photographer, you could rather like an antique flat with high ceilings than an "all-square" modern one in Recoleta).

Now the budget (you are late 20s, wanting to spend good times in a nice place, without spending too much) :
For one month (min/max) :
- Rent : 400/600$
- Food (eating 5 days/week at home, eating in the street or cheap restaurants at noon) : 200/300$
- Restaurants (2 times a week, regular ones that provide good meals, without alcohol -multiply below prices by 2 or 3) : 120$
- Alcohol : 1 liter of beer = 1.5$, bottle of normal/good wine = 7$
- Taxis (5 rides a week, assuming you take the public transportation for your everyday's activities) : 60$
- Public transportation (4 rides a day, 5 days/week) : 20$
- Parties/bars/"noche de locura" (if you are in your late 20s, better enjoy your time, right ?) (4 times a month) : 200$
- Personal purchases (from clothes to a photography book you liked) : 150$
- The "unexpected" : 100$
- Optional (of course it is optional since you have a girlfriend. Let's assume someone comes here single and meets a charming Argentinean woman) : 300$
- Medical bills (once you have "consumed" with that Argie girl and discovered she already had 2 kids by the age of 17) : 150$ for SRDL/Hep/Hiv/Clamydae test in a private lab (OK that last one was for fun).

Total (without the last joke) : At min, you reach something like 1300/month, and it can easily grow 10/20% higher.

6K sounds like a reasonable amount (just reasonable), like many already stated

Well, I do agree that you might be a little short.

But to answer the OP, first a question : why restricting your choices to Palermo
& Recoleta ? Maybe you should expand a bit your area of research.
To put it in one word : if you live in Recoleta, you are not spending wisely (your limited budget).
There are plenty of nice barrios nearby those.
You could even target San Telmo (if, as a photographer, you could rather like an antique flat with high ceilings than an "all-square" modern one in Recoleta).

Now the budget (you are late 20s, wanting to spend good times in a nice place, without spending too much) :
For one month (min/max) :
- Rent : 400/600$ I would like to know where you can find a 400 dollar a month. Maybe you can post some links?
- Food (eating 5 days/week at home, eating in the street or cheap restaurants at noon) : 200/300$ If you eat at noon every day, you already have spend your 300 dollar. If yo want to spend 300 dollar on food and drinks you can barely eat out and be prepared to eat stuff like pasta(cheap) a lot
- Restaurants (2 times a week, regular ones that provide good meals, without alcohol -multiply below prices by 2 or 3) : 120$ Agreed
- Alcohol : 1 liter of beer = 1.5$, bottle of normal/good wine = 7$ At home?
- Taxis (5 rides a week, assuming you take the public transportation for your everyday's activities) : 60$ 12 peso a trip, that are short trips then
- Public transportation (4 rides a day, 5 days/week) : 20$ Agreed
- Parties/bars/"noche de locura" (if you are in your late 20s, better enjoy your time, right ?) (4 times a month) : 200$ If you don't do crazy stuff you can probally sneak out 6
- Personal purchases (from clothes to a photography book you liked) : 150$ Agreed
- The "unexpected" : 100$ Agreed
- Optional (of course it is optional since you have a girlfriend. Let's assume someone comes here single and meets a charming Argentinean woman) : 300$ Sometimes cheaper, sometimes a lot more expensive
- Medical bills (once you have "consumed" with that Argie girl and discovered she already had 2 kids by the age of 17) : 150$ for SRDL/Hep/Hiv/Clamydae test in a private lab (OK that last one was for fun). That was not fun

Total (without the last joke) : At min, you reach something like 1300/month, and it can easily grow 10/20% higher.

Probally around 2000 dollar

6K sounds like a reasonable amount (just reasonable), like many already state

you should look to rent a room.... maybe with someone since you have a GF as you said and you arent here to chase women.. just party ..bar hop.. do your course....see the city etc... you might be able to rent a nice room from a person.. for 400-500 a month.. then you could live on around 800 a month..... well just an idea.....
but i am like Liam... I spend about 1000 US a month and I dont go party or do anything but basic living... and I dont pay rent!!!! and rent for a guy who wants a nice furnished place short-term with "maybe a pool and a jacuzzi" as you said.. is about 1000 a month!!! well good luck to you

How is it that you spend around 1000 dollar a month on basic things without rent and you expect him to get by with 300-400 dollar?

Again, rent changes a lot depending on the place and amenities. A Palermo BR will cost a lot of money, a shared apartment in Congreso will go for USD 230 per room. And that is a fact, and probably is a nice apartment, and people that say that it is not true are simply rich expats trying to emulate colonial overlords.

If you want your own apartment in those areas, and you want to be able to go out 2-3 times a week, etc, I would budget 2k monthly to be ok. If money is tight I would rent a room and that should save you +/-650 usd. 3k for three months doesn´t sound too good to be honest.

Back