How much to survive 3 months?

marksoc said:
Again, rent changes a lot depending on the place and amenities. A Palermo BR will cost a lot of money, a shared apartment in Congreso will go for USD 230 per room. And that is a fact, and probably is a nice apartment, and people that say that it is not true are simply rich expats trying to emulate colonial overlords.

Trying to emulate colonial overlords? Wow..that's a new one:D:rolleyes:

The OP said he wanted to rent an apt, not a room. And even studios go for around 500 a month.

What many porteños forget is that expats don't have a network of family and friends to help them find apts, give them advice on where the cheapest place to shop, ways to finagle the system, etc. So while I don't think anyone wants to pay the most, many do b/c they either don't know or are here to make the most of a short stay and don't want to scrimp. And of course there are cheaper options. However, if someone is here for 3 months - they may not want to share a room or live outside of the main areas.

Well I have been here a month... Not including what I paid for some spanish classes and what I have paid to volunteer, I have spent about 1400 pesos... That's all food, taxis, public transport and going out twice a week.I do have to say that I am not a big drinker, at all.
Also... I don't have to pay rent, so I am pretty fortunate there.

Futboljunkie said:
- Rent : 400/600$ I would like to know where you can find a 400 dollar a month. Maybe you can post some links?

Well, as stated, 400$ for an expat who comes here knowing nobody nor the local idiosyncracy, for a 1 BR in Recoleta or the nice parts of Palermo is indeed impossible.

Nevertheless, if the OP can do the following, I think he could get 400$ for a 1 BR in a nice but not too expensive barrio (like Congreso, Nunez,..) :
- If you know someone here who can talk the price, it would certainly go down : negotiating is part of the culture here, the short term rentals market is clearly in favor of inquilinos now, extending the research outside Palermo & Recoleta which are way too much overrated -at least for Recoleta- not counting the food & restaurants which are more expensive.

Let's not forget too (is that included in your budget ?) the security deposit which I guess should run in between 1 month & 3 months of rent.

Too, like in many countries, not paying back the security deposit is a national sport (furthermore if the LL knows you are due to travel back in 24 hours...).
If the contract mentions that the flat is in "perfectas condiciones" while it is not, you need to mention it before signing.
Once you leave, if the owner doesn't want to pay back the security deposit saying this or this (lie) has been damaged, you need to tell him that you want to call an "escribano" to make an "acta de constatacion" (fees are quite expensive but shared 50/50). In this case, likely will the owner go backwards if you have nothing to blame out of yourself.

One rule of thumb here is : what you pay 100, you maybe could have paid it 30 or 10...

I am interested in any 1BR appartment in Capital for short term rent for 400 dollar

Please provide the links, thanks :)

I too think is is probably impossible to find a one bedroom furnished apartment in Palermo for u$s400 month....

Back