How not to stand out like a tourist

Eat at home or in a restaurant. Don't make expats look worse than they are!

Huh, I see people eating yogurt, cereal/chocolate bars and other small items on the bus all the time, but never in the morning or at night. But rarely a bar and a Coke, just one or the other. And I definitely see Argentines in business clothes eating McDonald's ice cream cones while walking, mostly on Reconquista and Florida around lunchtime. But that's about it.

Don't wear silly clothes, to begin with

A fact that you're down south and in a fairly warm country, doesn't mean you should dress like if you are going to the beach

If we dress and act like we would in our home countries, we Europeans and Americans don't stand out from the crowd here

I lol'ed with the eating while walking thing. It took me about a year to understand they see it as a nasty habit.

I used to run for college in the evenings, buy a couple of empanadas and a coke and hopped to the 160. I would quickly get a seat and lots of personal space (very rare over here!) + a bunch of disgusted looks.

Good technique for seating hunt!

There also seems to be a fascination with Audrey Hepburn, Woody Allen and the Beatles (all of which I get), Clint Eastwood (which I sort of get) and Lenny Kravitz (which just confuses me).

HA HA --- yes --- I always crack up when I see the tourists in flip-flops and shorts in the middle of August. It is shocking to discover how many people don't realize the seasons are reversed!
On the same subject --- I have given up wearing sunglasses except if at the beach or driving a car (which I no longer do anyway). When I see people on the sidewalk wearing sunglasses (men especially) I just think they look like @$$es.

elclandestino said:
Don't wear silly clothes, to begin with

A fact that you're down south and in a fairly warm country, doesn't mean you should dress like if you are going to the beach

If we dress and act like we would in our home countries, we Europeans and Americans don't stand out from the crowd here

ja ja :) Don't forget you need to learn important words like ché boludo or you will be lost in a porteño conversation.

I love how they constantly say how hard Spanish is to learn, MUCH harder than English! ;)

Even if they aren't wearing cargo pants or baseball caps or have big cameras dangling from their necks, men who walk three paces in front of their wives are immediately identified as tourists (almost always from the USA).

Back