How often can you apply for the rentista visa if you are denied?

Given that the average US retiree gets about 1665 USD in Social Security, that 2000 dollar figure is rather steep.
As indicated in my previous post, the $2000 figure (whether it is now or will soon be required) does not apply to retirees applying for the visa pensionada.

Is the 1665 USD figure gross or after deductions - and is the $2,000 use figure a gross figure or net (after taxes)?
As far as I know, based on the fact they never asked to see any of my US tax returns, migraciones is only concerned with gross montly income that the foreigner is willing to reveal (that is at least enough to meet the monthly income requirment to qualify for the visa rentista, nada mas).

I am reasonably (but not absolutely) certain that migraciones would calculate the foreign income at the official rate.
That brings it to 171 dollars per month. Still not even close to 2,000.

That brings it to 171 dollars per month. Still not even close to 2,000.
Yes, that is correct, but I wonder if migraciones is still granting the via rentista at the $30.000 peso per month income level or is "required" to do so just becuase that figure is still on their website.

Wen I appiled for temporary residency in 2006 the monthy income rewuirement was $2500 pesos. At 3.09 pesos per dollar that was almost excatly $800 USD per month
If, for exapmple, migraciones suddenly raises the monthly income level by a factor of four (less than the last time), to $120,000 pesos per month, at the official rate (rounded to $180 to one), the monthly dollar amount would be only $666 USD.

Last edited:
If, for exapmple, migraciones suddenly raises the monthly income level by a factor of four (less than the last time), to $120,000 pesos per month, at the official rate (rounded to $180 to one), the monthly dollar amount would be only $666 USD.
To raise it today to the peso amount that equals $2000 would make the monthy income required to be at about the $360.000 level...12 times the amount currently posted on the migraciones website.

If I understand corrrectly, that amount is $30.000 only pesos more per month that the threshold for declaring ingressos brutos.

Based on the previous two increases which, at the time, brought the monthly income requirement up to the $2000 USD level, if I was considering applying for (as well as renewing) a visa rentista in the next few years, I would keep the possibility of a similar increase in the next few years, if not the near future, in mind.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I understand that there are numerous threads regarding the rentista visa but I wanted to ask specific questions pertaining to my situation.

1) If I'm currently receiving monthly dividends of $300 USD from a US ETF in a taxable brokerage account, would it be worth applying for the rentista visa? I've heard that migrations is looking for around $2,000 but given that $300 is still almost double the outdated 30,000 ARS limit at the official exchange rate, I figured it might be worth trying.

I suggest you contact an "immigration attorney" or an Argentine consulate (if not migraciones in Argentina) and ask what the current monthly income requirement si for the visa rentista and if your investments will be acceptable as the source of your passive and stable income to qualify for temporary residency.

No one in this forum has recently posted if they were granted the visa rentista with a monthly income level of $30.000 pesos.

When you get deifinitve answers to these questions you should be able to make plans based on them, keeping in mind that an official change in the monthly income requirement is long overdue.

2) How often can you apply for the visa if your application is denied? I'm not in Argentina yet as I'm debating whether I should wait until I can increase the dividend payout to a more substantial amount ($1,000+) using my remote job income or start applying soon in Argentina and keep applying every 6 to 12 months while continuing to invest until I'm approved. Worst case, I will have to leave at some point by paying the overstay fine on my way out.

If my memory is correct, based on what Bajo_cero2 has posted, if you apply for the visa rentista and your application is denied, you will leave migraciones with a deportation order, which you can then choose to ignore if you wish, but reapplying "every six to 12 months" after receiving a deportation order will probably result in your arrest at migraciones the first time you try.

PS: You should be allowed to stay in Argentina until your entry permit (plus a 90 day prorroga if you get one before you apply for the renstista visa) expires, but after you aplication is denied, you will be better off if you stay away from migraciones, except at the airport on your way out.

OR: you can bypass migraciones completley and apply for citizenship as soon as you arrive, provided that you have about $6000 USD to a lawyer to get the ball rolling. 🤠

Reactions: Vos
I suggest you contact an "immigration attorney" or an Argentine consulate (if not migraciones in Argentina) and ask what the current monthly income requirement si for the visa rentista and if your investments will be acceptable as the source of your passive and stable income to qualify for temporary residency.

No one in this forum has recently posted if they were granted the visa rentista with a monthly income level of $30.000 pesos.

When you get deifinitve answers to these questions you should be able to make plans based on them, keeping in mind that an official change in the monthly income requirement is long overdue.

Thanks Steve for your input! When I spoke to an attorney recommended by some members several years ago, I was told that $2,000/month in passive income would be ideal. However, I've recently come across a thread discussing how a member was able to meet the income requirement using their remote job with the help of a lawyer so I was curious to see what others' experiences have been.

If my memory is correct, based on what Bajo_cero2 has posted, if you apply for the visa rentista and your application is denied, you will leave migraciones with a deportation order, which you can then choose to ignore if you wish, but reapplying "every six to 12 months" after receiving a deportation order will probably result in your arrest at migraciones the first time you try.

PS: You should be allowed to stay in Argentina until your entry permit (plus a 90 day prorroga if you get one before you apply for the renstista visa) expires, but after you aplication is denied, you will be better off if you stay away from migraciones, except at the airport on your way out.
This deportation order after being denied is rather new to me but I guess this is why I should seek an attorney instead of doing it myself.

OR: you can bypass migraciones completley and apply for citizenship as soon as you arrive, provided that you have about $6000 USD to a lawyer to get the ball rolling. 🤠
I'm hesitant to go down this route due to the lack of definite time frame you get with residency.

Do not attempt the rentista without the help of a good immigration lawyer.

I have heard the same about the rejection of an application triggering a deportation order. I can't remember if my lawyer told me, or Bajo wrote it here, or both. But it is logical; if they've rejected you, what other order or paperwork is left for them to issue?

(Or maybe I wrote it here after my lawyer told me. It was a particular concern of mine because we were in lockdown, my country was closed, and I wanted to know my options in the event I was rejected but it was impossible to leave)

Last edited:
Do not attempt the rentista without the help of a good immigration lawyer.

I have heard the same about the rejection of an application triggering a deportation order. I can't remember if my lawyer told me, or Bajo wrote it here, or both. But it is logical; if they've rejected you, what other order or paperwork is left for them to issue?

I entered the word "arrest" in he search box and then searched for all posts by Bajo_cero2:

In at least two of the threads he indicated that "When you go to the DNM they can arrest you without an arrest warrant."

Obviously, being arrested (being detained and held in a jail awaiting deportation) is very different than walking out of immigrations with a piece of paper that gives you ten days to leave the country.

When RADEX was first introduced I posted that it looked like a trap to snare those individuals who did not and could not qualify for temporary residency.

Bajo_cero2 gave that post a like.

I have a similar suspicion that leaving the $30.000 peso figure as the monthly income requirement on the immigration website could serve the same purpose.

Thanks Steve for your input! When I spoke to an attorney recommended by some members several years ago, I was told that $2,000/month in passive income would be ideal.

And another member recently posted that the $2000 USD required for the visa rentista is posted onthe wall somewhere in Bajo_cero2's office.

If it is no longer there I hope BC2 himself will tell us.

However, I've recently come across a thread discussing how a member was able to meet the income requirement using their remote job with the help of a lawyer so I was curious to see what others' experiences have been.

Others have posted that is is possible to get the visa rentista based on income from a business in a foreign country by turning their income from an active to a passive source like corporate dividends as opposed to a salary or net profits from a sole proprietorship.

I have a storng hunch that now the nomad visa would be the only route to getting redisdency based on active income generated by remote work, but that residency would not be "temporary" like the visa resitsta. It would be "transitory" like the tourist permit.

This deportation order after being denied is rather new to me but I guess this is why I should seek an attorney instead of doing it myself.

In any case, be sure you know what the income requirement for the visa rentista actually is before you take the plunge and apply for it,

Back