Votes: 23 38.3%
  • 3-5 times per year

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • More than 5 times per year

Votes: 4 6.7%

• Total voters

Rease

Registered
Flights in and out of BsAs are insanely expensive, at least for my tiny budget. I feel like some people fly back and forth all the time while others (like me) have to save all year in hopes of maybe going home.

How often do you go home? How do you afford it?

I fly to Canada twice per year to visit family, specifically my elderly mother who doesn't completely understand why I need to be so far away. Yes, flights are expensive... but my basic expenses alone are $1000 less than in Vancouver and my income (in CDN$) has remained the same. I also collect airmiles and my upcoming trip is on points.

Assuming you are heading towards the northern parts of this continent, here is a cheap way.

Go to Once, get on a bus to Jujuy (150 pesos), then to la quiaca border (65 pesos), do Bolivia for peanuts, in Peru you might have to look for the inexpensive bus but you will find it, get to Lima and get on Spirit airlines one way to any of its cheap destinations. There is also a very inexpensive ferry out of Guayaquil towards northern west coast, wish i could remember. The whole deal should not cost you more than four hundred.

Canut
That certainly looks cheaper and good info. I can't see many expats over 25 doing that trip though...I would say most would not even make it to Once.

I pick a city with a cheap flight and meet the family there for their vacation. This gets them out of Snoresville USA where I grew up for a nice little trip and makes for a cheap airline ticket for me.

Though admittedly, flying to an exact destination with specific dates, like to the US heartland for the holidays, would be hard on most budgets.

Definitely hard on the wallet. Once a year for me. There seem to be fewer and fewer "deals" as well, but I'm not much good at finding them.

I like Canut's suggestion, but one would certainly need to have a lot of extra free time (and not be on a limited holiday) to take that route. I try to get home once a year, but it's been over a year since I've been back, and looks like it might be as much as two years before I'm really back next time.

Usually when I head OS I won't head back home for a couple of years at least.

Im 2-3 times but because my work has me traveling alot and home is an entry port from BA. Otherwise, if it is me and going for vacation, usually 1 time per yr.

Back