How silly some expats can be

bradlyhale said:
I love your pronunciation lesson, mainly because no one says "Zho" or "Frutizha". haha. Hilarious. In fact, my boyfriend (100% Argentine) writes "Sho" instead of "Yo" sometimes to distinguish himself from other Spanish speakers in a funny way.

I think you need to get over yourself, bud.

Hey Bradly, I hardly think I need to get over myself, but if you think that it's totally okay with me! You seem like a total dork, anyway so any silly comments don't bother me at all.

Apparently, your linguistic skills and ear for castellano are weak. If you listen to highly educated, well spoken people in Barrio Norte, Recoleta and most of Zona Norte, they all pronounce their ll, y, and j as I stated. Try and get out and listen a bit more carefully to how people speak.

For example one of those guys that sells gum and candy on the train enters and says "damas y cabashhheros" and then begins to announce what he is selling. If you go to the theater, the MC who gives the opening introduction says "damas y cabazheros".

Didn't mean to offend anybody lighten up a bit folks!!

Well David... I would say your pronunciation key is a bit off. Argentines don't use the Z sound as in english. Just ask them to say zoo or zebra and you will end up with sewwe and seebra.

David,

I totally agree with you, see NO point in people attacking you and yes, people of Recoleta, Barrio Norte etc speak the way you said, as well as OTHER porteños when they want to pose as someone that is more educated and have more money.

Besides, they way you put it was extremely amusing to me! The highlight of my Sunday! =) (oh, Jesus, already waiting for some poor soul to say my Sunday as dull and empty... lol)

Anyway, there is not better accent than the Uruguayan one. And I got a pretty porteño accent myself by now, so now it is very difficult to leave that, I'd have to live somewhere else for more than just a couple of years...

Sos extremadamente observador y tenés muy buen oído!
=)

Salut- :)

Davidglen77 said:
If you listen to highly educated, well spoken people in Barrio Norte, Recoleta and most of Zona Norte, they all pronounce their ll, y, and j as I stated. Try and get out and listen a bit more carefully to how people speak.

Seriously uptight ppl do speak like that...stick-up-theirs ppl speak like that, regular ppl dont
Maybe you're simply surrounded by them...
In fact regular ppl make fun of them when they try to speak about something as "greasy" as Showmatch and pronounce it "zhoumatch"

You don't have the slightest idea what my Spanish is like. This has nothing to do with how "good" your Spanish is, but rather being elitist. If getting out more involves spending MORE TIME in Recoleta, I think I've done that millions of times over.

Oh, and for what it's worth, my significant other is from one of those really poor and filthy cities west of Capital Federal. I'll see if he's interested in working as a vendor on the Subtes. He doesn't even speak English! He must be really worthless, right?

SuperPilot said:
Well David... I would say your pronunciation key is a bit off. Argentines don't use the Z sound as in english. Just ask them to say zoo or zebra and you will end up with sewwe and seebra.

Precisely.

SuperPilot,

Re-read what David said: he means a lighter SHH, so light it REALLY sounds like ZZSSHH.

He said nothing about the Z sound. tune your ears a il bit and you'll be able to listen to what he is talking about.

In time: Spanish is a language very poor of sounds. So Spanish speakers lack LOTS of sounds and when they try to reproduce them in other languages, they almost certainly FAIL.

And I am nor talking about the Rs - a problem for speakers of EVERY language.

I am talking about LACK of sounds.

This is true for many languages, Spanish is one of them.

It is not what I think, it is what it is.

Salut! -

I would think that the self-appointed linguist extraordinaire would be slightly familiar with the IPA. Or is that just too dorky?:rolleyes:

gulabjamun said:
Si la gente a quien llamas normal no habla así, problema de ellos, es muy mala pronunciación.

Psst, I know some people in Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries that say your pronunciation is "bad." The point is that there is nothing inherently "bad" about any pronunciation of any language. Accents are always evolving, and this right/wrong factor applied to any accent is purely arbitrary and, in this case, very elitist. (Surprise, surprise..)

My putative Argentina family kept telling me I sounded like somebody from Avellaneda, now I see what they were trying to tell me :p

Back