How to convert a Weber grill for Argentina

TehDeej

Registered
Hello all,

I have a Porteno friend that has been been using a Weber Genesis gas grill in the USA and would like to get one here locally. I have found a source for the grill but I need to determine what kind of gas mix is used in LP tanks here. Also, I need to know what is required to modify the grill to work with the tank.

Would anybody have any idea where I could find this info or ever where I could begin to look?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D.J.
 

2GuysInPM

Registered
Hi TehDeej,

We imported a Weber Q gas grill from the US. The connector for the gas tank is different, and the gas tanks here are bigger. I had to buy a local regulator w/ connector, cut off the one that came with the grill, and fit the new one in. The gas tanks they have here is "10 KG", which almost didn't fit under the grill. But once converted, it works great.

I don't remember the name of the place, but we got the regulator and the tank at a gas/hardware shop in Santa Fe and Humboldt.

Good luck!
 

mini

Registered
2GuysInPM said:
Hi TehDeej,

We imported a Weber Q gas grill from the US. The connector for the gas tank is different, and the gas tanks here are bigger. I had to buy a local regulator w/ connector, cut off the one that came with the grill, and fit the new one in. The gas tanks they have here is "10 KG", which almost didn't fit under the grill. But once converted, it works great.

I don't remember the name of the place, but we got the regulator and the tank at a gas/hardware shop in Santa Fe and Humboldt.

Good luck!
You can get smaller tanks. 10kg will last ages. Get a 3 or 5kg tank.
 

2GuysInPM

Registered
mini said:
You can get smaller tanks. 10kg will last ages. Get a 3 or 5kg tank.
Hmm... I have not seen them, but my understanding is the smaller ones don't have the same connector / regulator setup needed for a large grill. Our first 10KG tank only lasted 6 months.
 

malbec

Registered
why in the World would someone use gas instead of coal/wood to grill??? It's an honest question. I always wondered that...because the smoke gives the meat an unique taste.
I admit in some countries neighbours might get upset if using wood or coal to grill, but that's not a reason in Argentina.
 

TehDeej

Registered
Why not use wood/coal? He really liked the convenience of gas. He has a real parilla at his country home and wants the convenience of gas in the city.
 

mgarra

Registered
Hi All,
I am moving to Argentina from the US and wondering if someone can share where have they been able to convert the Weber grill to aArgentina. From the thread, I get that it is possible (which is great!) and that the main issue is adapting the propane gas tank connection. Can anyone who has done it share the details of where they converted it/what they did to complete conversion?

Thanks in advance!
 

Markgeezer

Registered
malbec said:
why in the World would someone use gas instead of coal/wood to grill??? It's an honest question. I always wondered that...because the smoke gives the meat an unique taste.
I admit in some countries neighbours might get upset if using wood or coal to grill, but that's not a reason in Argentina.
Because Argentina is destroying it's chaco woodland by using the wood for charcoal. Having said that, it does taste a lot better than using gas.
 

PhilipDT

Registered
malbec said:
why in the World would someone use gas instead of coal/wood to grill??? It's an honest question. I always wondered that...because the smoke gives the meat an unique taste.
I admit in some countries neighbours might get upset if using wood or coal to grill, but that's not a reason in Argentina.
Because with a gas grill I can have delicious seared steaks in 10 minutes total (preperation cooking) add 5 - 10 minutes of cooling for the meat during which I can make a salad and I have a delicious dinner.

On the other hand with a wood/coal parrilla its a 30 to 1 hr process min mum and you have to use a ridiculous amount of coal to get a large grill as hot as a gas grill gets in seconds.

Nothing wrong with usung the parilla with leña on a weekend evening or lazy sunday afternoon. But if I just want to grab a quick delicious bite of argentine carne. Gas all the way!
 

RSPlayer

Registered
We brought a gas grill form the U.S. and thought about converting it to natural gas, but finally decided not to. So, because the connections are different on the propane tanks here than in the U.S., we needed to purchase the regulator/connector at a hardware store and have a plumber/”gasista” connect it to the original hose that was on the gas grill. It is not recommended to do this yourself since when you use it, the gas will be under pressure, so you need to be certain it is done correctly. Most places here sell propane, but some sell butane, you can use either one without noticing any difference. Butane is slightly more efficient, but propane has a lower boiling point and thus is better suited for cold weather (like Ushuaia). Like in the U.S., you can exchange the empty tank at various locations (such as YPF), the trick was to find a place that sells the empty tanks (you have to have an empty tank to exchange for a full one). I bought 2, but it was some time ago and I forget where.

malbec said:
why in the World would someone use gas instead of coal/wood to grill???
The wood parilla works great but usually takes about 3-4 beers or 2-3 glasses of wine. When I don’t have the time, the gas grill does pretty well.
 

Attachments

Top