How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

Aggressive panhandlers are not panhandlers they are muggers. Plain and simple. I used to get people begging in the subways all the time in NY, on the streets and well, pretty much everywhere. The key is to ignore them. Do not give them a reason to interact with you. You do not owe anyone anything. I used to give money to people who asked but it got to the point where I was quickly running out of cash myself. There are those who need it but there are also those who take advantage. One day I was coming up out of the subway on Rivadavia and these three kids were chasing and hitting people for money. I moved quickly past them and saw them run to their "Mom" who was sitting outside of the panaderia, strung out on something. That is not to say all beggers here are drug users but it really put into perspective the fact that my 2 pesos is not going to help everybody. The government needs to step up and do something.

Beware...!! NY subway traveler pushed onto the tracks by disgruntled begger..!!

20121206-subway-011-300x300.jpg

WTF!!! Are you american or something?
So , are you implying that the people in the rest of the world are so docile that they allow themselves to be bullied and ignore the fact that they have rights ? Is not the inability to defend or stand up for oneself the precursor to being dominated and to become sub servant ? Why pick on Americans in this regard ?

Or are you soon to be a slave to what other people want or demand of you. The USA is the land of the free. AND the brave. Please do not forget it next time you , or your countrymen need help. With that attitude , next time we may let you try to stand on your own. And watch you fail.

BTW , the designation "American" is to be capitalized !!

Beware...!! NY subway traveler pushed onto the tracks by disgruntled begger..!!

20121206-subway-011-300x300.jpg
I know this guy and he is CRAZY. He used to hang out on the platforms in midtown and either sing or argue with himself all day. The poor man who he pushed actually talked to him. Traveling on the subways you get to know what crazies are harmless and who to avoid.

So , are you implying that the people in the rest of the world are so docile that they allow themselves to be bullied and ignore the fact that they have rights ? Is not the inability to defend or stand up for oneself the precursor to being dominated and to become sub servant ? Why pick on Americans in this regard ?

Not every confrontation necessitates the use of an offensive weapon.

I am getting pretty tired of the agressive panhandlers myself. I feel I do my part here - I volunteer once a week at a local community center giving english classes to people who would not be able to afford to pay for english lessons. When they make up bags of food every couple of weeks I go and help assemble the bags and distribute them to people who ask. I also donate my used clothes, books, and household items that I don't use. I don't make a lot of money but I am able to survive here and have a roof over my head and eat (at home 99% of the time) I go out to a restaurant MAYBE once per month and never buy any luxury items. So I am not able to give money to people who constantly ask, literally sometimes 20 people per day between my apartment and workplace. I try to avoid dangerous neighborhoods, am rarely in the street at night and being a native of New York City I am very much aware of my surroundings. I wear very non-descript clothes, no watch, no jewelry and no cell phone showing. The couple of times I've gotten harrassed I've luckily been in busy areas, like crossing the 9 de Julio or around Tribunales, where there were always people around. But still some idiot followed me and I kept ignoring him didn't say a word and he grabbed my shoulder from behind and got right next to me, well immediately he got a high powered sucker PUNCH in the face and fell to the ground. I kept walking and I kept my hand on my pocket knife (which I always carry, but have never had to pull out) and he was just laying there yelling and nobody helped him. I just kept walking and didn't say anything. It was a guy of about 25 years old, chiseled body you could see his ABS with a ton of tattoos and piercings on his face. I don't play. I don't know if this was the best idea but I was so angry at him grabbing my shoulder I went ballistic. Ask all you want but don't harrass me and certainly DON'T touch me uninvited because I don't play like that!

It's getting worse every day. I've been to places with lots of panhandlers, but none as relentless and abusive as the ones here in Buenos Aires. Before they used to just ask a few times for money or if I would buy something from them, then leave me and whoever I was with alone. Now, after having been mugged a few times, I know that some really won't take "no" for an answer. I've had some physically badger me and even follow me for two blocks, shouting at me to get my attention. In most cities I've lived in the protocol would be to just ignore and not indulge them. This apparently doesn't work here. Any tips on avoiding or getting out of these situations?

I agree with some of the previous posters. It's better to just not say anything and keep going. That usually works for me, though being 6'5" (194cm) doesn't hurt.

Personally, I just give something to anyone who asks, even just a little. It's not so costly for me to give a peso here and there. Lots of people are asking that are not legitimate, while some that ask really are in need. Maybe the kid who has been trained as a beggar will get beat at night if he doesn't bring home enough. Maybe the person asking hasn't had a meal in a while. Or maybe he is a charlatan/professional beggar. There's no way to tell, so I just go ahead and give to most people that ask.

Back