How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

The USA is the land of the free. AND the brave. Please do not forget it next time you , or your countrymen need help. With that attitude , next time we may let you try to stand on your own. And watch you fail.

BTW , the designation "American" is to be capitalized !!
Hahaha, I wouldn't say pepper spraying someone in the face brave. Perhaps Jesus told you to do it or something.

I don't know of anyone who is so paranoid that they carry pepper spray around with them here.

I do not understand what the problem is with self-defense, probably because there is none. Carrying pepper spray as a prophylactic makes sense to me. I know many Argentines who used to carry a sock with change in it in case they were in trouble. There is no difference. In this city you are responsible for your safety in public, its not American paranoia, its a fact.

There seem to be two parts to this question:

1. I selectively give money. I make an on-the-spot decision as to whether I think the person really needs it or are just living on handouts. Old ladies get money. Young, physically fit guys don't. I'm trying harder to be less judgmental and give a little if someone asks. I know its not possible to determine if they really need it.

2. I never allow anyone to touch me. One guy did get too aggressive with me and grabbed my shoulder. Big Mistake. I executed a wrist-lock submission and he went down on his knees. As I increased pressure on his wrist I explained that if he touched me again I'd break his arm. Obviously, this only works if you know what you are doing. If you don't know submission holds or close-in defense then your best best is to ignore them, keep a positive posture with your head-up, and keep walking. If they get too close turn at them and get into a self-defense position. Pose like you are going to kick something and keep your hands up (they don't know that you don't know defense). They will stop. Then turn and walk away. My wife has this one mastered.

Carrying stuff around like pepper spray and other defensive weapons just gets complicated.

Guys I think it is important to understand the 'why' when dealing with a problem like this... it is all well and good to say 'I lived in NYC' this is how we handled it... but many sociologists have surmised that in North America one of the 'triggers' for aggressive behaviour or acting out by homeless or people with mental illness is actually IGNORING THEM! The fact is they feel completely INVISIBLE and they are often seeking some kind of reaction good or bad!!! Think of the times you have seen people simply step over a guy passed out in a subway stop for example... Like a river flowing around a stone. Hey we all do it. You can't imagine what i've seen on Canadian subways, buses or streetcars and the incredible extent people will go to completely ignore it, like the person standing right in front of them screaming simply doesn't exist. MInd blowing.

I have a friend and his policy is to straight up ignore it and I cannot tell you the number of times I have seen how this enrages panhandlers here... Yes in Argentina. Or how an aggressive stance will actually provoke an aggressive reaction. I can genuinely attest to the fact that the most aggressive reactions I have received here were because I tried to simply ignore... Let me be clear I AM NOT ADVOCATING anyone to engage them on any level... other than a 'sorry no' or a 'next time'... and don't stop moving... Just adjust your attitude so it's not a 'pi** off maggot'... Keep your arm extended and make it clear you will not let them physically near... and again... keep moving.

But take a moment and try to understand how you are perceived... If you are obviously foreign there will be an assumption you have money. Period. You can't do anything about that... but further than that, they may actually resent you for it... Which might explain a more aggressive approach... Then maybe you can understand why ignoring them might actually exascerbate the situation... As you unconcsiously re-inforce some of the negative foreign sterotypes... Rich, arrogant and taking advantage.

Now of course I am Canadian and am well versed in the over use of the word 'sorry'... lol... but the secret that Canadians learned a long time ago... Is the rewards of giving even the tiniest amount of respect can garner... there is a world of difference between a 'sorry no' and a straight up 'no'... and to the reaction both provoke.

So ask yourself the 'why's... Why am i being targeted? Do what you can to dial down the 'gringo-ness'... Maybe try to remember to keep some change (EASILY ACCESSIBLE, make sure you don't have to go into your bag) if they are relentless.... even 25 centavos will do the trick and just don't stop moving... And lastly as most on here advised... OWN YOUR SPACE... Make it CLEAR that you won't let them close... Whether it's just an arm extended or a full blown Bruce Lee stance... make it clear.

but making it clear in your attitude even when saying 'no' that you sympathize with their situation... can go a long way.

Hahaha, I wouldn't say pepper spraying someone in the face brave. Perhaps Jesus told you to do it or something.

I don't know of anyone who is so paranoid that they carry pepper spray around with them here.

Glad to see everyone has an opinion. Read my post. I was not referring to pepper spraying innocent or non threatening people. I was defending the USA from some idiot who insinuated that Americans are bad or something for using their rights. If you want to be ignorant go ahead. And learn to spell American.

Everyone one is entitled to their opinion. You should just be aware that when you do express it here ,sometimes you really look like a jerk to all of us.

Seems when someone bashes Argentina , everyone defends them , or whatever. I defend the the USA , and the jerks come out.

My personal opinion regarding this thread is exactly as GS says above.

Glad to see everyone has an opinion. Read my post. I was not referring to pepper spraying innocent or non threatening people. I was defending the USA from some idiot who insinuated that Americans are bad or something for using their rights. If you want to be ignorant go ahead. And learn to spell American.

Everyone one is entitled to their opinion. You should just be aware that when you do express it here ,sometimes you really look like a jerk to all of us.

Seems when someone bashes Argentina , everyone defends them , or whatever. I defend the the USA , and the jerks come out.

My personal opinion regarding this thread is exactly as GS says above.

I would just stop now before you post any more embarrassing posts. Oppps thats against your FREEEEEDOM!

http://i.qkme.me/35v3zf.jpg

With that attitude , next time we may let you try to stand on your own. And watch you fail.

WW2 - "It woz the Russians that won it..."
Vietnam - FAIL
Iraq - So much FAIL
Afganistan - Even more fail.

CanuckleHead -
I can understand where you are coming from however, when dealing with someone who is mentally unstable, rational thinking and a rational attitude does not apply. Especially here when you are a foreigner. Crazies and normal panhandlers are they types of people I have had to deal with on a daily basis growing up in a city. I do say sorry and I do not have change if the person is legit, however, the poster is talking about aggressive panhandlers. Those that get in your face, touch you and/or follow you. By giving them a "sorry" or saying ANYTHING is giving them an in to talk to you and continue with the conversation. My feelings on this are coming from personal situations that I have run into and learned from.

JamJam - You are sounding like a troll. Why are you so down about people from the U.S.? Like many Argentines here, many Americans are not fond of the decisions of their government. Where are you from?

Back