How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

There is nothing unfortunate about it. I am very fortunate what happened to me in Parque Chacubuco was not worse. I have been very well educated as to the way to react and act on the street. Needless to say, I am laughing at the someone else's country bit. Do you see Argentinians saying hello to everyone on the street and giving money to everyone who asks, no of course not. Its not okay if I feel threatned or if I do not get a buena onda from someone I do not owe a radom person on the street a hello because I am living in "their" country. Its quite nieve to think so.

Good post, Kate. I think that's summed up your position well. I now see where my 'treat people well when you have the opportunity to do so' mantra falls down. All the best.

WTF!!! Are you american or something?

What does American have to do with it? Actually, my family is Argentine and they live here but they immigrated from Italy and I was raised in the States and in Buenos Aires.

On the two times I used pepper spray it was not because a panhandler was being annoying and pushy. They did get aggressive and when I refused to give them money they tried to rob me. And you do have to be careful with pepper spray as the wind can carry it in your direction. Use it with caution. I don't believe in using guns (even though I was raised in the States). I believe in the least violent form of self-protection.

Some people do indeed need help and I'm willing to give clothes and food, but not money unless it's to a street performer but not to people who simply stand on the sidewalk all day with their hand out waiting for you to put change into it. On many occasions when children have come into restaurants and asked for money I have offered food instead of money and they simple refused food.

What does American have to do with it? Actually, my family is Argentine and they live here but they immigrated from Italy and I was raised in the States and in Buenos Aires.

On the two times I used pepper spray it was not because a panhandler was being annoying and pushy. They did get aggressive and when I refused to give them money they tried to rob me. And you do have to be careful with pepper spray as the wind can carry it in your direction. Use it with caution. I don't believe in using guns (even though I was raised in the States). I believe in the least violent form of self-protection.

Some people do indeed need help and I'm willing to give clothes and food, but not money unless it's to a street performer but not to people who simply stand on the sidewalk all day with their hand out waiting for you to put change into it. On many occasions when children have come into restaurants and asked for money I have offered food instead of money and they simple refused food.

Its a bit suspect that you've had to use it twice. Its such an American solution.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/296/morans.jpg

An incredible, and deeply unfortunate, attitude. And in someone else's country, no less. Quite astonishing.

You gotta love the 'everyone for them self' attitude of some americans. Probably why they have such a rotten healthcare system and are brainwashed in to believing its good that the poor die. Less of them to make the streets dirty...

It's not suspicious nor odd that I've had to defend myself in BA twice. Have you read all the threads on robberies in this forum or do you live in a bubble? BA is not known for being a safe city. I don't think anyone believes that "poor people should die". I've been poor in BA before totally without work or food. Killing them is a horrible thing to accuse people of stating. The problem is not poverty so much as it is a lack of basic education. Government doesn't care if people rich of poor are ignorant as long as their vote can be bouct. The parents blame everything on government and don't do their part by sending their children to school.

Nlaruccia, so you've twice pepper sprayed someone here? You have to admit this is very unusual.

Next time you use pepper spray what happens if the guy pulls a knife to 'defend' him self and you miss with the pepper spray.
You've just escalated the situation.

I would be very careful the next time you decide to use pepper spray you don't receive a more forceful retaliation.

And the next time you miss with the pepper spray? He'll definitely use the knife now you've attacked him.

Be nice, be polite but have a plan to kill each and everyone of them. :p

Off with their heads!!! :D

And the next time you miss with the pepper spray? He'll definitely use the knife now you've attacked him.

What do you suggest? That we just let people attack us and turn over our valuables? Yes, here, take my things. Yes, please, go ahead and knife me. Come on in, rob me, rape my wife, kill my children.

As a North American I think Flight 93 has shown us all of the need to fight back and defend ourselves. I think it is very dangerous to believe that we are not responsable for our own defense or for defending our families. If you wait for the government to come and save you, you'll be dead.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Back