How To Deal With Extremely Aggressive Panhandlers?

I suspect that there is little difference between one firm "no" and then ignoring them or ignoring them from the outset. In my mind this is far outweighed by body language, tone of voice, and the actual internal control of your fear which will express itself in countless ways. Either way you must give them as little to work with as possible. The more you engage them the more they will go to work testing you and breaking you down.

Perhaps on an individual basis the other mentioned strategy of giving them a little something may work to resolve the situation in that moment. However, on a systemic level the more people who do that, the more incentive "beggars" have to continue their tactic of intimidation. I am more in the aforementioned camp of giving when someone is clearly incapacitated or is selling something or performing. I don't respond well to intimidation, nor do I fund the continuing exploitation of children by their deadbeat parents.

Like I said, my North American instinct is not to say anything, which usually works. Alas, the same is not always the case here in Argentina, especially being a not particularly tall college-aged student. It just seems to fuel their anger, envy more. They just keep intimidating and intimidating..

Oh and Jam-Jam.. What American crossed you and turned you into a perpetually infantile troll? We're all human beings made out of the same flesh and blood, regardless of nationality. You're entitled to express you're opinion but man.. enough is enough, no?

I don't have anything against people form the usa but when you see post about someone who has TWICE pepper sprayed someone here I feel the need to respond in a in such a manner.

Plus you have to see the funny side of someone who comes form the richest country in the world, (one that in despite of overwhelming evidence still believes guns are good of people) and pepper spraying aggressive beggars on two occasions. Anyone would have to admit that is a little crazy.

Of course not all people from the usa go around pepper spraying people. There are some great people from the USA like Lance Armstrong for example.

Perhaps you should looks to the Brits who don't take themselves too seriously and generally get on with things. There are some fantastic things isn North America like Canada and not every USAer is crazy, I know some amazing people form the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Here is a warning from an Argentina friend that might come in handy. If you might end up giving money to people, put it in a pocket or something. Never open your purse to get it. Thieves have often grabbed a wallet out of the purse and run with it. After you live here a while you learn these little precautions.

As for the pepper spray, we were not there. I have pepper spray and it is possible I might use it if I felt threatened. So far I have not. But I also have not run into the aggression that some of you describe. I don't criticize any post here and it makes me sad if someone does. If I think they are a little too defensive, I think it appropriate to try to help acclimate them to the country.

When I was new here I was in a situation I did not realize. A young man, begging, was following me. I was telling him to get a job. I was smiling though, he was just a teenager. I said "You know how you get money? You work for it." He was smiling too and kept following me and begging. Several people on the sidewalk got obviously concerned and started walking behind us. I think they recognized a situation that might have gone sour and maybe it would end up robbery. I can see that happening. I realized it and he moved on. I can see pepper spray. I know one person here who has her pepper spray on a chain on the zipper of her purse. That was after getting beat up by three guys. So I say be careful how we criticize.

P.S. I said I don't criticize any post here. That is not completely true. I always feel a little grumpy at people who blatantly criticize other posters. Sorry 'bout that. I have to be honest!

Kate I appreciate your POV and let me say that for a woman it is COMPLETELY different... I do understand and appreciate that... The point is... that I do not advocate engaging anyone in any kind of 'conversation' but to always keep moving... Not wait for a reply... You have to remember something... The signals you give... When you avert your eyes... Tuck your head... Clutch your bag and quicken your pace... while all rational and understandable responses... demonstrate fear... So, ignoring is not only offensive in some cases but it is also identifying you as a potential victim or target. In essence it can be encouraging violent or aggressive behaviour... remaining calm, aware, sympathetic is in no way inviting anyone 'in'... It is demonstrating... 'Ya I know you're there and I'm not afraid'. And truthfully this is a dialogue about extreme siutations... And for women aggressive situations are almost always extreme. I do sympathize.

These likewise are drawn 100 percent from my experience here as well... The only times I have been chased down the street... Confronted with a screaming 'hijo de puta' was when I tried to bypass and ignore completely... I found I was able to control the potentially aggressive confrontations easier when I was calm, collected, unaggressive.... and polite.

Another nice little trick is using my 'ear buds' from my Iphone just not plugging them in... And pretending like you can't hear when someone approaches. Stupid but it works. I wouldn't suggest you actually listen to music passing through questionable barrios but just pretend...

I do however appreciate your point that each situation is different and for a woman... It is not even comparable... No question it is MUCH worse.
I can see what you are saying but, personally, I am not one to duck my head, grab my purse and avert my eyes. I ignore plain and simple, but with confidence. As a former Merchant Marine I have been to many ports and encountered many unsavory types of people - I have been chased through the streets of Malaga, and followed by a gang through the port of Piraeus...I don't even want to go into what happened to me at Parque Chacubuco.... You are 100% correct in stating that it is different for women who can look like an easy target but I also think it is true for men too.
My husband, who is not small or shy by any means but dresses nice for work, was waiting at the bus stop around the corner from our home when two teenagers came up to him asking for money. He didn't have anything smaller than a $5 peso bill so he gave it to them, then they told him they wanted more. He confronted them by saying "Are you trying to mug me?" They said "Yes." and he laughed. He was lucky that there was another man at the stop with him who backed my husband up. My point is, if he just didn't say anything and just said "no" he could have avoided the situation alltogether and, who knows, the "kids" could have had a knife or gun.
I just feel that it is better to be safe than sorry. You do not owe anyone anything, a smile, a hello etc. (unless you know them) and it has nothing to to with being an elitist as another poster had said, it is part of being safe and aware that not all people are looking to just give you a kind salutation or just want 50 centavos. Unfortunately there are a lot of unsavory people out there. As a community of expats, I think that it is helpful and important to hear others thoughts on how to stay safe in this city and I totally appreciate your point of view and thoughts on the matter! :)

I always carry coins to hand out, instead of giving to Charity Institutions...!! Confronting drugged individuals can be risky, unless TASER becomes available..... :D

Wow, I can't believe there is so much baggage on this thread about beggars, etc.

If you all would just man up and stop giving out your cash to these people, we could actually clean up the streets of BA. These guys are agressive and pushy because it works. You keep giving them your cash. I'm all for being charitable, but go work with an NGO or your church and be responsible about it.

The worst are the people who give money to the kids that are on the street. YOU ARE NOT HELPING THOSE KIDS! Don't you realize you are part of the problem that is keeping those kids out of school? Their parents wouldn't force them to beg if it didn't work. The next time you feel tempted to give one of those street kids money, go buy them a meal (many times they are undernourished) or give them a toy instead.

Wow, I can't believe there is so much baggage on this thread about beggars, etc.

If you all would just man up and stop giving out your cash to these people, we could actually clean up the streets of BA. These guys are agressive and pushy because it works. You keep giving them your cash. I'm all for being charitable, but go work with an NGO or your church and be responsible about it.

The worst are the people who give money to the kids that are on the street. YOU ARE NOT HELPING THOSE KIDS! Don't you realize you are part of the problem that is keeping those kids out of school? Their parents wouldn't force them to beg if it didn't work. The next time you feel tempted to give one of those street kids money, go buy them a meal (many times they are undernourished) or give them a toy instead.

One time i was outside eating a pizza, while a kid came running and snatched half the thing off my plate. Some might actually just be hungry :p

Back