How to Deal with Some Neighbor Gripes?

Newsflash. Args don't pick up dog shit.

Count yourself lucky, at least that huge dog isn't in your neighbor's yard barking all night every night. Another Arg trait.
It's not a newsflash, which is why I say it's a problem I know about in the city.

Semi,

You are in a tough spot. You care, but others do not.

And it really doesn't matter if you are in Argentina, Canada or Europe. People behave the same everywhere. They either care and are considerate of others, or they are not.

You either need to ignore it, go to war or move. Option #1 is probably best. (Option #2 isn't wise and #3 might not be so practical???)

I feel for you, there are some spiteful, inconsiderate people walking this planet.
This seems the most likely outcome doesn't it. I don't blame the dog at all, if the owner walked in the opposite direction the dog would have another doorstep to shit on.

Pick up the dog shit and throw it at his door... Eventually he will get the message
While some will deride this approach, it does have merit. Certainly, me of just a few years ago would have gone down this road without even thinking about it. However, now I am not in that place both from not wanting an escalating situation and two because I just can't be bothered.

I have a friend who got into a war with a neighbour and it ended badly when the neighbour game through the kitchen skylight one evening and slashed is wife's throat. She didn't die or even really have a bad injury in the end, and of course the guy went to jail. Still, as I am not willing to go as far as jumping through my neighbours skylight and slashing his wife's throat, and he may be, I will avoid the war. I know there are people willing to go much further than me over what is basically a minor issue.

It's also worth noting I still do not know who is doing it. I think my GoPro will have to go into the window to find out. I am thinking until then I will put a note on my door. When I find out I will 100% "talk" to the person and I am willing to report them if it is illegal, but my fist fighting days are over unless it is protecting someone I love.

haha! a newbie.
Says the literal newbie. I am not new in Argentina, I have been here for many years. As I said in my post, I am well aware of the problem with dog shit in this city. Funnily enough, I have spend over a decade living in an apartment so didn't have dog shit in the corridor.

Put a Dog poop Cam on him and post the footage on youtube :cool:
This is a solid idea, but not on YouTube but on the barrio Facebook page.

Of course you try being nice and respectful but what do you propose when the person throws it back in your face. You either fold or change your strategy.
Somewhere,

Your question is valid.

It's just that being NON-confrontational works best for me. Why? Because I would be the unlucky one who could become a news headline. e.g. on that one occasion I decided to stand up for me and my rights, my luck would have me doing it with the wrong person at the wrong time. i.e. The person pulls out a gun and kills me because they decided to go nuclear. I'll admit it is unlikely, but it does happen and I fear it happening to me or someone I love and care about very much. I guess it has a lot to do with my life experience as well as my upbringing.

BTW - People are making some very valid points on this post, so I am not the authority here for anyone's tactics except my own.

It's hard to navigate a life sometimes!

Rodney King may have said it best:

"Can't we all just get along." (or something like that. I may be paraphrasing???)

We moved to a cul-de-sac "pasaje" in Palermo at the beginning of the year (hope it's not the same one ...), I guess they have a certain attraction to dog-walkers and people looking to park since they're quiet and dark for the most part. People come to dump rubbish as well, fortunately closer to the main road, but it's still not very nice.

At some point in the past, the owners of the building put some small lamp-posts and big flower pots outside. When we arrived and found that people liked to come and drink beer and smoke joints in front of the building, we replaced the light-bulbs (which were long since blown) with some really unpleasant blue-white LED bulbs. The oversized flower pots discourage parking on the pavement. And when a bike was stolen from outside the building in front, they installed a floodlight. So far only a single beer can has turned up on the flower pot, and if there's any sign of anything more I plan to get WiFi cameras (the movement-activated rotating kind available on MercadoPago for 10k pesos or so). I think that more than the camera as such, a flashing LED would be a suitable deterrent.

Actually installing the WiFi cameras to have a good view of the pavement, with the limited WiFi range and concrete rebar everything, is a bit of a problem, it would be nice not to have to go there.

When i first came here as a tourist in 2004 I believe it was much worse with the dog shit. Then over the years I thought it got better, but since the current crisis started, I have the impression that it got worse again. But that might be a very flawed, subjective perception that I have on this. Probably it was always like that.

And yes, it is annoying, but also not something that should cause sleepless nights here (or to put it differently: if this is one of your top three problems here in BsAs, then you are most likely doing pretty well)

When i first came here as a tourist in 2004 I believe it was much worse with the dog shit. Then over the years I thought it got better, but since the current crisis started, I have the impression that it got worse again. But that might be a very flawed, subjective perception that I have on this. Probably it was always like that.

And yes, it is annoying, but also not something that should cause sleepless nights here (or to put it differently: if this is one of your top three problems here in BsAs, then you are most likely doing pretty well)

I arrived ten years after you did, but I too have noticed that it got better for a while, and that it has gotten worse again lately. You need to have dogshit radar not to step in it.

Agree it has gotten bad again after improving for a while. Perhaps plastic poop bags are simply another victim of economic crisis? (That and the fact that plastic bags are harder to come by in CABA after in theory banning them from being used at shops etc.)

That said the other day I did see a really unfortunate sight in Palermo - one of the ever increasing number of homeless guys living in doorways in this area pulled down his pants and defecated in the gutter/ on the sidewalk of a fairly busy street in broad daylight. Can’t be sure it is all dog poop these days.

Back