How To Deal With Crazy Argentine Neighbors

Ceviche

Registered
Unlike other expats, I seldom have problems in BA.

But I have been facing a problem with neighbors.

1. Too much noise from the apartment above ( woman stays there)

2. A couple of women using the building's gym who dislike my use of the gym, always complaing about me to the building administration. eg he makes too much noise in gym or he drops weights in the gym which will damage the floor of the gym.

What is correct way to handle this situation, guys?

I live in a supposedly 'hi-fi' building and because of its fabalous gym. But everyone here, has the nose up in the air.

Have you talked to the lady that lives above you? She's probably oblivious to the fact she's bothering you. Try being friendly about it and specific. "I'd appreciate you didn't practice Flamenco dancing at 2:30 in the morning because I have to get up early for work."

As for the gym - is it true you're making too much noise or ruining the floor? If not, then just continue what you're doing and if you should feel like it, confront them and explain that you're being as considerate as possible.

That's about all you can do... Other than just trying to ignore it and doing your own thing. Changing your workout time, getting some ear plugs, etc.

There's this weird thing here I might call overlapping aural space. Just like some cultures have a closer physical body space distance, it seems to me that Argentina sports a dizzying tolerance for cacophony - one person listening to music, another to the tv, both on loud, music blaring from the neighbors, non-existent use of headphones, music or tv on too loud during normal conversation (like over an afternoon tea, not at a party), music in public like we've talked about in other threads, practicing an instrument with other ambient noise in the background, etc etc. I haven't in the work environment here, but I but I'm betting the same goes on in an office environment where we would expect to be quiet for concentrating or attending clients, no?

Or is this just my specific circle of family and friends?

Are the woman above you and the women in the gym friends? You never know. It's a small world!

What's the noise from the apartment above you? If it's high-heel shoes clicking across the floor you are pretty much out of luck. How much noise can one woman make (if it's not talking)? :D

I live in a supposedly 'hi-fi' building and because of its fabalous gym. But everyone here, has the nose up in the air.

okay, we get it, you don´t wanna seduce them with your attributes. Then pretend that you are gay and become their best friend in the building!

Ceviche, just talk to the gym ladies and try to make a schedule that will work for all parties involved. Avoid and escape. Pick your battles wisely.

Re: Lady above, she's probably not aware of the noise. New buildings are hardly soundproof.
Do tell her that some of her noise is annoying and to please make her best not to make the voices in your head so angry that they force you on an insane killing spree among the Botanico's cat population... AGAIN! Tell her the voices will demand MORE BLOOD if the noise doesn't go away!

Back