Dealing With Neighbors Cat

jeff1234

Registered
My problem is more about my neighbor than the cat. The neighbor gets very upset if I'm walking my dogs and they try to chase his cat.

Yet the cat lives outdoors pretty much all the time. It prowls our trees and roof making noise and leaving smells that drive our dogs crazy and sending them into frequent howling fits. Lately I've seen the cat walk around our yard in the middle of the day, and taunt the dogs, then run up a wall or tree when they approach. This morning it was jumping from one of our roofs to another, landing with a 12kg thud that was especially irritating to our dogs.

I've thought about the obvious solutions but I dont want to start a conflict with my neighbor. If the cat disappears or comes home poisoned I think the neighbor will suspect us.

Does anybody have and suggestions that would help us get rid of this pest without starting a hassle with our neighbor?

P.S. to GS_Dirtboy: I need solutions that dont require artillery, assault weapons, flame throwers, etc. Left mine back in Florida.
P.S. to Richone: Hiring an immigrant to guard our roof and yard isnt really a workable solution.

In strategic places:
- Moth repellent
- Pepper (in powder)
- Sulfur/azufre

Or having a cat yourself of the same sex (bigger than him/her) : after two months, he/she'll defend the territory

If you put some products in strategic places, better tell the neighbour before, so that he/she doesn't suspect you're trying to kill the cat.

We'll be leaving back to Atlanta in a month. For a modest fee I'll be willing to consider taking the furball with me to the airport :)

Or use a tech geek method, costly though (with motion detector, etc.)

la_arroseur-contre-les-herons-et-les-chats-20556.jpg

In strategic places:
- Moth repellent
- Pepper (in powder)
- Sulfur/azufre

Or having a cat yourself of the same sex (bigger than him/her) : after two months, he/she'll defend the territory

If you put some products in strategic places, better tell the neighbour before, so that he/she doesn't suspect you're trying to kill the cat.

Cats are the worst possible urban pests, as the Jardin Botánico (which needs a nighttime Rottweiler patrol) will testify. There should be leash and license laws for cats as well as dogs but, in the interim, we have found that Frenchie's suggestions, such as pepper or other similar substance, is pretty effective in keeping the cats out of our yard. Our most effective aid, though, is our malamute.

We have an 8 year old cat but he's only interested in sleeping and eating.
And a boxer, who wants to protect his home but he's frustrated when the cat climbs walls or trees.

Chancellor, thanks for the offer but it still leaves me with an angry neighbor.

Seems like pepper or moth repellent is the best suggestion so far. How do I put it on trees? On the ground without hurting my dogs?

Place the products rather in locations where the cat goes/enters your garden, or where he can access your roof. Top of walls, roof, etc.

We have an 8 year old cat but he's only interested in sleeping and eating.
And a boxer, who wants to protect his home but he's frustrated when the cat climbs walls or trees.

Chancellor, thanks for the offer but it still leaves me with an angry neighbor.

Seems like pepper or moth repellent is the best suggestion so far. How do I put it on trees? On the ground without hurting my dogs?

jeff1234, for a little less modest fee, I can considering taking your neighbor.

Back