How To Get Internet Connection Wifi From Telefonica?

Shoeb

Registered
Hi Expatians,

I moved to a new apartment, it has a telephone service from Telefonica under name of my landlord but does not have an internet connection. I desperately need one for my online classes, my landlord is of no help as she says it is my problem. If you guys knows, please can you tell me whats the process and will i be able to manage it with my broken spanish. Some authorization is needed from my landlord?. I know which plan i need, its called Speedy 10mb.

Have a nice weekend!

Shoeb

You'll need the landlord's DNI and you'll need to pretend to be him when you call.

If you're going to be dealing with Telefonica and Speedy, you might want to hire Nikad to do the talking for you, if you don't have anyone else to do it. Telefonica (and Speedy) is not an English-friendly company. It's usually not even a friendly company, period.

They also insist on speaking to the owner of the service every time. My wife always does most of the talking, but most of the time I have to at least say, "Hello, yes, it's my service. Now please talk to my wife."

You might consider getting the landlord to allow you to put the service in your name. Even if you have to pay him to do it.

The good news is that at least for the past couple of years, the service has been reasonably consistent, with very little downtime.

One other thing. Before buying a service from them, make sure you know what you're buying. Get it in writing if possible. Last December, one of their telemarketers called and offered to raise my speed from 5 megabits to 8 megabits for $30/month additional. At the time, I was actually getting 6.5 megabits, but I figured for an extra $30/month, I'd take the increase. Well, the speed never increased, so we called them, and they told us that the new contract called for speed up to 8 megabits, but that the new minimum speed -- which I already had -- is 6.5 megabits. So I'm now paying more for what I already had, and there's nothing I can do about it.

And now they're calling to try to sell me 12 megabits.

Ordered Speedy about five months ago for a backup, still waiting. Modem sits in the corner. Ah, Argentina.

Why oh why on God's green earth would you piss away your money on something Telefonica provides?

Please tell me you tried every other company first.

I got Fibertel and love it. Installation is free if you tell them to call you via their website. You'll need a DNI (maybe Passport if not?
My roommate/friend put it in his name since he's an Argie).

Right now you can get 12 mbps for $150 ARS a month with free installation (even if you don't have any cable outlets in your house/
apartment like we didn't).

Don't touch Telefonica, take the word of Aerolineas how terrible they are:

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/en-AR/Prensa/Comunicado/3058_the-president-of-telefonica-appologizes-to-aerolineas-argentinas-while-mariano-recalde-visit-aeroparque-airport-to-make-direct-contact-with-passengers

Why oh why on God's green earth would you piss away your money on something Telefonica provides?

Please tell me you tried every other company first.

I got Fibertel and love it. Installation is free if you tell them to call you via their website. You'll need a DNI (maybe Passport if not?
My roommate/friend put it in his name since he's an Argie).

Right now you can get 12 mbps for $150 ARS a month with free installation (even if you don't have any cable outlets in your house/
apartment like we didn't).

Don't touch Telefonica, take the word of Aerolineas how terrible they are:

http://www.aerolinea...with-passengers

Lots of people here have been making various complaints about Fibertel service lately. I haven't had a serious problem with Speedy in years, and the connection never slows down during peak hours. Apart from my comment about being ripped off for an extra $30/month, I have no complaints.

And not everyone is in Fibertel's service territory. I don't think I am, but I'm not sure.

Equating a one-time problem at Aerolineas with the quality of residential internet service isn't really fair, nor is it reasonable.

Fibertel's website shows this offer:

11762.jpg

How would we get this 12mbps for $150/month? Also, it's for a limited time. What's the real price? I can't seem to find that on their website. And do you have to be a cable customer to get that price? Probably. Definitely.

And then there's this:
Cablevisión establece una cuota de transferencia de datos mensual de 100GB. La utilización del servicio por encima de esta cuota es considerada excesiva y una violación a la política de uso aceptable. En caso de superar dicha cuota, Cablevisión se reserva el derecho a bajar la velocidad del servicio a 3Mbps hasta la finalización del mes, como así también tomar cualquier otra acción que considere necesaria. En caso que el cliente desee una cuota mayor, éste deberá solicitar una versión superior del servicio.

There's no such limit with Speedy, and I have often exceeded 100GB of data transfer in a month.

If you have any real info about problems with Telefonica (and Speedy), you should share it. But if all you've got is the problem at Aerolineas, you're criticism isn't really justified.

One last thing: I'm not a great lover of Telefonica. They've been hard to deal with in the past, and I think what they did to me -- lying and selling me something I already had, and then not doing anything about it -- stinks. But if someone is objectively evaluating various internet services, they should know that Speedy is a reasonable and viable option. That's all.

My understandign is like other services here Internet service too sucks.Anyway my apartment has a telefonica telephone connection and that is the only reason I want to go for it. I think the only option is to push my landlord to get me an internet connection. Lets see if I fall for the great argentinian trap or get lucky....

Thanks Guys,

Telefonica has improved immensely over the past ten years. I had dial-up Speedy when you were charged per call and time. You used to need your bill to pay it. When it wasn't delivered on time and you were late one month, Telefonica disconnected your phone and you had to pay a fee to have it reconnected. Today you can pay the bill at Rapipago or Pago Facil without having a bill. They send you an email notice when your bill is due. The bills used to be four pages, now only one. You can see your complete monthly bill online and print it if you need it.

Another important change in service is that you don't have to be the owner of the apartment to order service. They want your business because they have competition. Best to have internet in your name so when you move, you can cancel it. They need your passport number for ID purposes. You decide if you want call waiting, voice mail, etc.

I have Accesso Speedy 3mb which is good enough for me and PLAN DUO which means unlimited local calls are a flat rate. I remember the days when I was charged by the number and length of calls per month. Telefonica raises rates without any notice. Now I pay $260 a month for this basic service.

Go to your local Telefonica office where you can speak to a rep in person. You may even talk to someone who can help you in English.

Internet was in its infancy when I arrived in 1999. I went to a shopping mall and waited to use a computer. Twenty minutes cost SIX dollars in those days.

Sorry if I duplicate because I didn't read the entire thread. Trust me I tried my best to get Internet with broken spanish when I first came here. I strongly suggest, also, that you get Nikad to help you. She's on this forum. If you are not sure how to find her, just ask and we will help you. I wish I had known about Nikad when I first came here. It would have saved me a whole lot of pain!

You do need an authorisation from the landlord but you will need to bring a copy of your lease. The Telcos/ISP demand these so if there's any debt for services rendered it will not stick to the property (owner) but will follow the service user.

If you're here for a 6 months period or similar, I suggest you go with the current Fibertel 12 Mb promo. Our DSL is no match for cable.

Back