Internet connection question

BAwithkids

Registered
When a rental says there's "high speed internet" or "broadband", are there questions I can ask that will give me a better sense of what that means? We need a GOOD connection for work reasons, and these terms seem like they could cover a real range of quality. Thanks!

Thanks Lee. I didn't know if maybe particular companies were better than others, or if you paid for different speeds and so we could ask about that...

Ask them what service they are using and if they know the speed. Some of the common services here are: Arnet (DSL), Speedy (DSL), Fibertel (Cable).

If you find the speed too slow when you get here, and the owner is agreeable, you can ask them to call and have the service upgraded while you rent. They, of course, may charge you for the price difference which is usually not a lot.

On a side note; Fibertel will do upgrades over the phone and on the spot. Today we upgraded from 3mbps to 6mbps for $39 pesos more a month. All it took was a 5 minute phone call, and now the speed difference is huge. Even though we only doubled, it seems to be bursting much higer than the 6mbps we signed for.

2GuysInPM said:
Ask them what service they are using and if they know the speed. Some of the common services here are: Arnet (DSL), Speedy (DSL), Fibertel (Cable).

If you find the speed too slow when you get here, and the owner is agreeable, you can ask them to call and have the service upgraded while you rent. They, of course, may charge you for the price difference which is usually not a lot.

On a side note; Fibertel will do upgrades over the phone and on the spot. Today we upgraded from 3mbps to 6mbps for $39 pesos more a month. All it took was a 5 minute phone call, and now the speed difference is huge. Even though we only doubled, it seems to be bursting much higer than the 6mbps we signed for.

This is so helpful! We're trying not to spend too much money, but good/fast internet is critical.:)

Back