How to get paid for services?

mandarinconlolita

Registered
I teach Chinese to Argentinas. And now my students can't pay me through paypal, using their credit card. I ask them to use TransferWise. It doesn't work, either. By any means, they have to use their credit card. They went to the bank and the bank ask them to have me provide my bank account info, my passport, my birth date, my name, my address.... I think it is too much... is it? I have no clue here what is happening, anybody knows?

You are providing a service in Argentina, to Argentinians.
Logic dictates foreign currency should not be involved and BILLING and payements are due also locally.

Your bill should already provide most of the info requested by the bank.
I fail to see where the issue lies.
Otherwise, what you are asking is how to operate illegaly.

Iz

I teach Chinese to Argentinas. And now my students can't pay me through paypal, using their credit card. I ask them to use TransferWise. It doesn't work, either. By any means, they have to use their credit card. They went to the bank and the bank ask them to have me provide my bank account info, my passport, my birth date, my name, my address.... I think it is too much... is it? I have no clue here what is happening, anybody knows?

The mercado pago suggestion might work.

If the category exists, perhaps you could offer your services on mercado libre.

Then your students could pay with a credit card.

I believe you have to have a DNI/CUIT to enroll as a vendor on Mercado Libre...

...as well as an Argentine bank account in which to transfer the funds.

Which means you would have to be operating legally...

To do so, I also believe you would have to be enrolled with AFIP and issue the receipts Iz mentioned...

...and pay the appropriate taxes on your income.

PS: "What's happening" is that the government is trying to reduce capital flight and increase tax revenue, especially from previously unreported income.

Last edited:
I think OP is not based in Argentina. She teaches Chinese online to Argentinean students and lives abroad. If that’s the case, Mercado Pago won’t work.

However, your students should still be able to pay in USD if you use PayPal, Stripe, etc. if they have an international credit card. The only difference is that they will now have to pay 30% on top of the value converted to pesos at the official exchange rate.

Good point! We might have been given insufficient data.

The subject of internet provided education was raised when the tax was discussed. I do not the details or if any particular implementation or waiver was decided on the matter.

It also comes back to wether the OP is providing a service following the accepted nomenclature and further regulations and is registered here and / or elsewhere so she can bill customers properly.

Iz

Back