How to learn Spanish?

Asking someone how to learn a language is like asking how to make an omelette. There is no one answer. Scientifically, memorizing vacab out of contest is useless for most part. We learn in context, so whether it’s through speaking or listening or reading always look for context. Finally, some people are just better at languages than others. If you only speak your native language and have never learned another language before Spanish, chances are you fall into the latte group. Good luck!

Specially the stress on certain letters. A friend mentioned an excellent Cafe near San Telmo called- Punto Cafe,. Now it's important to clearly pronounce and stress the letter' N.... otherwise may be misunderstood..!

If you ask for riñonada, (center of Quadril) one of the finest cuts of meat in Argentina and don't stress the Ñ the butcher may give you kidney Riñones
Like in Portuguese, päo de queijo vs pua de queijo ;) be careful.

gotta say secillamiente and alby in may were very compelling. best ever in describing the process. thanks to both of you. great read as i continue on the journey. garcias mis amigos

It´s important open the mouth to speak Spanish (and practice exercises). There are only 5 vowels...

Technically, there are six. As in English, the letter Y is sometimes a vowel, as in the old spelling of our city, Buenos Ayres. Even today, there is a company called Buenos Ayres Logistica.

I would note that the use of Y as a vowel is less common here than in my birthplace of San Diego county, where we have San Ysidro and Santa Ysabel as place names. There is a San Isidro here in AMBA, and a Santa Isabel in La Pampa.

Yeah, I know, it's splitting hairs, but I am a language teacher...

Anyway, the Argentinians THINK they are speaking Spanish. It is sort of a closed society. They only want to UNDERSTAND themselves.

The English spoken in United Kingdom, United States, Canadá, Australia, New Zealand and so on... have differences, also. Reading about History is interesting to understand many things. There are four contries that have received inmigration in America: Canada, United States, Brazil and Argentine... Languages reflect history and thinking. Spanish have many influences, even from italian inmigration. Everything is related with everything. So, Argentine it isn´t a close society.

From my experience of learning American English (and immigrating to the US)
every level of mastery of language calls for its own method that is better suited to this particular level.

At some level one should memorize dictionary words in frequency order.
At some level one should read Kindle books in target language (Kindle has built-in dictionaries).
At some level one should watch movies with subtitles.
At some level one should listen hours and hours of talk and news radio.
At some level one needs to talk intensively with native speakers.
And finally and most importantly one just should solve all one's life problems (work, business, shopping, personal life etc.) using target language.

The English spoken in United Kingdom, United States, Canadá, Australia, New Zealand and so on... have differences, also. Reading about History is interesting to understand many things. There are four contries that have received inmigration in America: Canada, United States, Brazil and Argentine... Languages reflect history and thinking. Spanish have many influences, even from italian inmigration. Everything is related with everything. So, Argentine it isn´t a close society.
While I do agree with this I feel that all major types/variations of English are closer together than different types/variations of Spanish. I feel that this has a lot more to do with colonialisation and closeness of the colony to the colonising country. You must remember that Portugal and Spain were colonising long before the UK. There has been a lot more time for Spanish to diverge than English has.

People from Portugal and Brazil have difficulties in understanding, communication each other... but not people from different Spanish countries (accent is different because of the sound, music is related with the aborigin languages, also.

Back