How To Study In A National University?

natykerouac

Registered
So I'm almost 19, I'm trying to move and study in la UBA o la Plata, or some national (free) university in their film program. Please don't tell me not to do this, I'm just trying to figure out How exactly to do this, and then make my own decision from there.
1. Do the high school "convalidacion" exams , the Argentine high school equivalence exams, have to be taken in Argentina? Before or after applying to the school? Can I take them while I'm in school there, or can I take them at the Argentine embassy here in LA before I move, or apply? I don't know how this works, all I know is you have to take them.
2. Is it easy for international students to permanently study in a national university? Or do they only let you come for a year? Would I be able to finish my degree there? I'm not planning on moving back to America.
3. What visa would I need? Do I start out with a student visa? Can I apply for a different more permanent one while I'm still in school there?

extra info--I have no family or citizenship there. I do have some people I'll probably live with. I am fluent in castellano and English. I'm a freshman in film school in LA, would any courses I have taken possibly be counted for anything?
I've researched these questions of course but it all is very complicated...
Thank you!!!

So I'm almost 19, I'm trying to move and study in la UBA o la Plata, or some national (free) university in their film program. Please don't tell me not to do this, I'm just trying to figure out How exactly to do this, and then make my own decision from there.
1. Do the high school "convalidacion" exams , the Argentine high school equivalence exams, have to be taken in Argentina? Before or after applying to the school? Can I take them while I'm in school there, or can I take them at the Argentine embassy here in LA before I move, or apply? I don't know how this works, all I know is you have to take them.
2. Is it easy for international students to permanently study in a national university? Or do they only let you come for a year? Would I be able to finish my degree there? I'm not planning on moving back to America.
3. What visa would I need? Do I start out with a student visa? Can I apply for a different more permanent one while I'm still in school there?

extra info--I have no family or citizenship there. I do have some people I'll probably live with. I am fluent in castellano and English. I'm a freshman in film school in LA, would any courses I have taken possibly be counted for anything?
I've researched these questions of course but it all is very complicated...
Thank you!!!

1. I'm pretty sure that they have to be taken in Argentina.
2. It's as easy for international students as it is for locals (other than the above)
3. Start with a tourist visa, then once enrolled get a student visa, this grants you temporary residency that does not turn into permanent residency. Once you're here you can change to another type of residency if you want and you meet the requirements.

Do student visas last more than 6 months-1 year? Because obviously I'd be there longer. Or do they last as long as it takes to study there? How would I switch to a permanent visa?
What are the requirements for that?

Unrelated question for all: Is it possible to apply and get into a national university from America, and not have to go to Argentina until I'm going to start? (well, a few months before starting). Because I can't really afford two round trip plan tickets...I've heard I have to go in person to do things to apply in Argentina before getting accepted? Or can I do everything when I get there, and then start studying?

Do student visas last more than 6 months-1 year? Because obviously I'd be there longer. Or do they last as long as it takes to study there? How would I switch to a permanent visa?
What are the requirements for that?

Unrelated question for all: Is it possible to apply and get into a national university from America, and not have to go to Argentina until I'm going to start? (well, a few months before starting). Because I can't really afford two round trip plan tickets...I've heard I have to go in person to do things to apply in Argentina before getting accepted? Or can I do everything when I get there, and then start studying?

Student visas grant one year residency which is infinitely renewable as long as you're a student. Unlike other residence categories it does not convert to permanent residency after a few years. If you want that you need to apply for another category, all the information is on the dnm website.

I think that at least for the UBA the inscription for the CBC requires you to show up in person. All of the universities have websites, I'm sure the information is all there.

If you want to study at UBA you MUST complete the equivalency exams BEFORE you can enroll in the CBC. I would suggest contacting UBA to find out about getting a student visa while going through that process.

There are other universities that will allow you enroll as an undergraduate without completing the exams, but you must complete them before they will issue your degree.

Incidentally, even if you already had 3 PhDs, you would still have to pass the high school exams to enroll in undergraduate course in la UBA. Though you could enroll directly in a MA or PhD program. Welcome to Argentina!

It is doubtful that any of your courses will count for anything at UBA. You'll essentially be starting from 0. Or, in fact, coming from the US, you'll be starting from -1 as you'll have to spend a year dealing with high school.

If you want to study at UBA, don't underestimate the time it will take to do this. I know you are fluent in Spanish, but have you ever written an academic paper or taken a formal exam in Spanish? Even if you have, it will be quite different in Argentina. They are not trivial exams.

If you want to study at UBA you MUST complete the equivalency exams BEFORE you can enroll in the CBC. I would suggest contacting UBA to find out about getting a student visa while going through that process.

There are other universities that will allow you enroll as an undergraduate without completing the exams, but you must complete them before they will issue your degree.

Incidentally, even if you already had 3 PhDs, you would still have to pass the high school exams to enroll in undergraduate course in la UBA. Though you could enroll directly in a MA or PhD program. Welcome to Argentina!

It is doubtful that any of your courses will count for anything at UBA. You'll essentially be starting from 0. Or, in fact, coming from the US, you'll be starting from -1 as you'll have to spend a year dealing with high school.

If you want to study at UBA, don't underestimate the time it will take to do this. I know you are fluent in Spanish, but have you ever written an academic paper or taken a formal exam in Spanish? Even if you have, it will be quite different in Argentina. They are not trivial exams.
which other universities allow this?
and you mean I could enroll in a MA program? that's strange..

I think that you can take the tests once you arrive here before enrolling, applying though from the US honestly may be the hardest thing though because UBA is so unorganized and many of the emails on their site I have heard don't work.
Its not hard getting in but it is really unorganized as mentioned
Any thing regarding perm res search on here "citizenship for dummies" but that comes after three years
Yes you will be starting as if you are a senior in high school
And yes studying in UBA will be very challenging and I am a fluent speaker with a Salvadorian background and speaking here is much different and it has been a lot of work for me, not impossible of course, but I'm curious as to where in the states you had learned castellano.
And yes unfortunately there isn't much common sense here so yes things like that don't make sense.
The schools where you may be required to take an exam will be private.

I am 20 (second year student) and have been studying here in the private school Universidad Belgrano. So feel free to ask me any questions...

Also I know you didn't want any one to tell you that it is impossible so I'll tell you this, unless you have financial support from the US it is pretty much impossible to study here...

I think that you can take the tests once you arrive here before enrolling, applying though from the US honestly may be the hardest thing though because UBA is so unorganized and many of the emails on their site I have heard don't work.
Its not hard getting in but it is really unorganized as mentioned
Any thing regarding perm res search on here "citizenship for dummies" but that comes after three years
Yes you will be starting as if you are a senior in high school
And yes studying in UBA will be very challenging and I am a fluent speaker with a Salvadorian background and speaking here is much different and it has been a lot of work for me, not impossible of course, but I'm curious as to where in the states you had learned castellano.
And yes unfortunately there isn't much common sense here so yes things like that don't make sense.
The schools where you may be required to take an exam will be private.

I am 20 (second year student) and have been studying here in the private school Universidad Belgrano. So feel free to ask me any questions...

Do you know if for a national public university, you need both the vacancy and the high school validation tests to get in ?

Back