How To Study In A National University?

So I'm almost 19, I'm trying to move and study in la UBA o la Plata, or some national (free) university in their film program. Please don't tell me not to do this, I'm just trying to figure out How exactly to do this, and then make my own decision from there.
1. Do the high school "convalidacion" exams , the Argentine high school equivalence exams, have to be taken in Argentina? Before or after applying to the school? Can I take them while I'm in school there, or can I take them at the Argentine embassy here in LA before I move, or apply? I don't know how this works, all I know is you have to take them.
2. Is it easy for international students to permanently study in a national university? Or do they only let you come for a year? Would I be able to finish my degree there? I'm not planning on moving back to America.
3. What visa would I need? Do I start out with a student visa? Can I apply for a different more permanent one while I'm still in school there?

extra info--I have no family or citizenship there. I do have some people I'll probably live with. I am fluent in castellano and English. I'm a freshman in film school in LA, would any courses I have taken possibly be counted for anything?
I've researched these questions of course but it all is very complicated...
Thank you!!!

You need to buy the material to study for the high school equivalency exams. I don't think you can from the States. Before you take the exams you meet with each professor who tells you which topic you must elaborate on in the exams. The exams are: Lengua 1, 2, 3; Educacion civica 1, 2, 3 anio; Literatura 5to anio, Instruccion civica 5to anio.

http://portales.educacion.gov.ar/vnt/estudios-extranjeros-2/

This webpage explains everything.

Pajarito I applaud you for seeking an education abroad in a public institution. I think that's laudable and very brave!!

1. Do the high school "convalidacion" exams , the Argentine high school equivalence exams, have to be taken in Argentina? Before or after applying to the school? Can I take them while I'm in school there, or can I take them at the Argentine embassy here in LA before I move, or apply? I don't know how this works, all I know is you have to take them.

These need to be taken in Argentina.

2. Is it easy for international students to permanently study in a national university? Or do they only let you come for a year? Would I be able to finish my degree there? I'm not planning on moving back to America.

Easy...no, honestly I don't think anyone would consider it easy. ;) Even if you are fluent in the language there are a lot of bureaucratic processes that will be unfamiliar. But yes, you will be able to finish your degree here. The residency for students in a full-time, degree-granting program that is registered with the DNM is valid for one year. You apply for an extension of one year each year every year as long as you continue to advance in your degree. This info is all on the DNM website but the documentation listed as required for each trámite should be understood as a guideline to follow -- the DNM official may request additional documentation at his/her discretion.

3. What visa would I need? Do I start out with a student visa? Can I apply for a different more permanent one while I'm still in school there?

Spend some time on the DNM website. There are different types of temporary residencies. One is for students. Click on the "Residencia Permanente" on the DNM website and take a look at the requirements. To be clear I'm not trying to be a jerk by not just outright answering this question, but honestly if you are going to be studying at a public university you need to get used to reading legal regulations and interpreting them in order to understand bureaucratic processes! :( I'm certainly not saying everything is 100% clear, but a fundamental part of your life in the university will revolve around first getting a grasp on what the law says so that you can THEN ask specific questions about its interpretation. This skill (and it is a skill) is the key to navigating the public unversity system in Argentina as well as the immigration process.

extra info--I have no family or citizenship there. I do have some people I'll probably live with. I am fluent in castellano and English. I'm a freshman in film school in LA, would any courses I have taken possibly be counted for anything?

Your courses will not count for credit but surely the knowledge will come in handy! :)

Most university students here who are not from wealthier backgrounds live with their families while they pursue their degree. Or they work a lot. Keep in mind that even though there is no tuition, rent is not cheap.

Also, you're going to be in class MUCH MORE than you are in the US. The average undergrad class in the US meets for 3 hours weekly...a single undergrad class in the UBA can require between 6 and 15 class hours a week. Sure some of those class sessions (depending on your carrera and the course) may not have obligatory attendance...but the workload (trabajos prácticos, parciales, final) reflects a proportional amount of time investment and material.

It has been mentioned and restated many times so feel free to look in the others if you don't believe me but if you make the peso it is impossible to support yourself as a student. You will probably not be working legally first of all so your pay will be very bad and a lot of hours which won't allow you time to keep up with your studies at UBA as well as keep them accountable for everything since they are so unorganized. Making the peso will also make things like food and rent to be very high plus if you don't have an argentine roommate who has a guarantor aka someone who is saying that you will pay rent or they are responsible then your rent will be higher than a typical renter. Its not like you go on craigslist and find something informal that is cheap. And school days here are longer your classes are longer and in UBA you have to study a lot. So if you think you are coming here to be self dependent because it is a "free" education you will be mistaken because after you pay everything with peso it is very expensive. Have you started a new semester of college or did you already un-enroll and are depending on this?

Most american high school graduates couldnt pass the equivalency test even if they were completely fluent in Castellano (not "spanish"). American high schools just arent very rigorous, and dont teach all the argentine specific stuff.
I have heard that most smart, motivated people need to study, preferably with a tutor, for about a year, in Argentina, before they can pass these tests. And, yes, you would need income, from the USA, for this year. You wont be able to find a job, unless you have relatives or some amazing skill, that will both support you and allow you the time to study for the tests, in negro.
Argentina is a wonderful place- but it aint easy, or transparent.
Takes a while to figure it out, and the meter is always ticking.

And once you get into UBA, its unlike american schools- they make you WORK, and the dropout rate is incredible- I have friends who teach there, and its not uncommon for 600 kids to show up first year, and 50 to actually finish the degree, 6 or 8 years later. The profs I know expect YOU to figure an incredible amount of stuff out on your own, to read, and write, about 4 times what an ordinary college kid at a state school in the USA does, and to be willing to stay in school as long as it takes- some subjects routinely take ten years to finish the degree.

You will probably not be working legally first of all

Just to clarify, temporary residence obtained to study does allow you to work legally. You can start working as soon as you get the "residencia precaria" (think of it as the stopgap piece of paper that you have while your temporary residency is being processed) at the DNM.

Just to clarify, temporary residence obtained to study does allow you to work legally. You can start working as soon as you get the "residencia precaria" (think of it as the stopgap piece of paper that you have while your temporary residency is being processed) at the DNM.

Very true! just finding a job in the white to fit an UBA schedule would be crazy hard is what I meant but thanks for clarifying!

Back